Jigging up some Lakers

Not a pike report, not a trolling report.. but a jigging report , i wasn't sure where else to put this report

It was opening day on our inland waters for lake trout a few weeks back,

Joining me this opening day was a good friend Len and my brother Mike, Len has been jigging lakers for a few years, this was my second year and it would be my brothers first time.

Getting the boat ready to launch

laketroutfishing2010002.jpg

laketroutfishing2010001.jpg

We found the spot we wanted, water from 135 feet to 60 feet, we started to jig 1 once ice fishing jigs, making sure they were stirring up the bottom, i was the first to hook into one, only a small one but fighting these fish from 130 feet on med light tackle is a blast

My first

laketroutfishing2010003.jpg

I hooked into another small one and released it (forgot to take a picture)

My brother was not to sure what he was looking for in the way of hits... I seen him lift his rod, and i sen the tip dive ,but he missed the hook set... a few seconds later the fish came back and just smashed the jig... he didn't miss the hook set this time

Mike with his first Laker jigging

laketroutfishing2010004.jpg

We each caught a few small ones ,they were released right away back to the depths, no pictures taken

I hooked into a better fish, No mistaking those large head shakes

laketroutfishing2010013.jpg

Not being out done Mike hooked into a good one a few minutes later

laketroutfishing2010009.jpg

Len in the mean time was having a hard time making the fish stick,loosing a few on the way up, Setting the hook with 8 to 10 pound test mono at 130 feet isn't as easy as it sounds :lol: but perseverance paid off and Len landed this one beauty

laketroutfishing2010007.jpg

We kept 2 each(that is the limit) we were looking for our 6th fish for the box, when the boys in blue came along to make sure we had a operators card and the proper equipment,life jacket.... etc.

laketroutfishing2010015.jpg

We caught our 6th and we packed it up and headed back to the launch, A good morning ,it was about 11:00 am,we ended up with 13 fish in all, home early means a few more brownie points :rofl:

The next weekend my Fishing Partner RJ and I headed out again, this was a much different day, we were marking tons of fish... but they were all tight lipped, here is what we were looking at all day on the sonar

laketroutfishing2010017.jpg

We did manage a few small ones, which kept the skunk off

rjlaker.jpg

laketroutfishing2010016.jpg

We had a noon time limit,RJ had a honey to do list that needed to be done... and the way the fish were hitting it wasn't going to hurt my feelings leaving early.We had a bout fifteen minutes to go when my rod doubled over, i thought i hooked bottom... but then the drag started to sing...Now I'm using a 8 foot medium light St. Croix legend tournament rod with a Shimano CI4 Stradic rel both new, the reels drag is one of the best i have ever had, super smooth, and this fish was giving the drag a real work out, after a few minutes ,we started to see the bubble coming up as the fish was blowing it's bladder, we knew the fish would be in site shortly, we spotted a flash of the fish and i guess he got a flash of us...... and wanting nothing to do with us ..he took off straight back to the bottom so the fight was into round 2... from 135 feet of water, this time he gave up and RJ slid the net under this gorgeous Laker

this picture was taken with out the flash,I Love the dark markings on these inland lakers, and that the marking go right around the belly

(Click on pictures to see it full size)

laketroutfishing2010020.jpg

This one was taken with the flash.

laketroutfishing2010022.jpg

This was a natural fish, so with a quick couple of pictures, she was released back to the Depths of the Rideau water ways. I won't soon forget the fight this bad old girl put up, this fish made my day... OK week, maybe my year ;) guys if you ever get the chance to try jigging for Lakers ..do it, Lakers have a bad wrap of not fighting, well try it from a non moving boat... i think you will be pleasantly surprised

Thanks for looking

Phil

Spectacular report and great photo's!!

I grew up on Cayuga Lake and caught alot of lakers, but never got them jigging before. I've been researching it and talking too friends who do it, it really looks like alot of fun. Once again great fishing adventure. :yes:

Thanks Guys, I'm heading to do one more day on the bank for Carp, then Bass opener, I'm fishing a Bass tourney next week, I hope To take pictures of the whole process and hopefully my partner and my self holding holding a cheque 8):beer:

You turn up in the darndest places Phil. What happened to carp fishing?

I've been contemplating going back to lake ontario in the spring and joined the site again after a few years away. Stripers were hot again on the hudson this year.

Damn nice lakers you fellas took.

Take care,Roughrider out .

You turn up in the darndest places Phil. What happened to carp fishing?

I've been contemplating going back to lake ontario in the spring and joined the site again after a few years away. Stripers were hot again on the hudson this year.

Damn nice lakers you fellas took.

Take care,Roughrider out .

How the hell are you my old friend??? Just to let you know your still a member on RB(I've paid for the past 2 years for ya 8) ) Lets see some of those Stripers. I'm still fishing Carp, I posted the reports here on the Panfish category.Bass open next weekend I'm in a tourney,I had to buy new Equipment(I think About about 7 new rods and reels, I have enough rubber to re float the Titanic, New fish finders I'll s I need now is to get on the podium to help pay for all this stuff :lol: When you get a chance pop over to RB and send me a PM, or send one from here...

what type of jig were you using and how big? Im heading up to the ADKs next weekend and would love to try it.

We were using 1 once Snakies

laketroutfishing2010.jpg

Not to sure what the last one is, My brother had about four of them, they turned out to be the hot bait on opening day, but over all the Snakies are our go to bait. If you try it out let us know how you do,remember try to keep your line a vertical as possible an keep in contact with the bottom, jigging it up about a foot or so.