A slider diver is actually a form of dipsey diver which allows you to let out as much line (leader) from the diver to the spoon. How it works is you thread the line through the slider dipsey and then tie a barrel swivel on to the end. I then run a piece of 12 ft flourocarbon to a swivel ( the lure end). What you do is let out as much line as you want ...the line slides through the dipsey and when you reach your desired leghth ( I like 100 ft) you snap the arm on the slider diver into place. Now is when you let the diver out next to the boat. I like the #4 setting and 35 ft from the boat worked well the other day. When you buy one of these rigs just follow the directions

Slider cheaters are very simple to use. I take a piece of 10 -12 ft flouro and tie a regualr swivel on one end and a basic wire clip on the other. You let out a downrigger like normal....IE 50 ft off the ball and lets just say 60 ft down. Now that the rigger is out what you do is take that leader of flouro and clip the wire clip on the downrigger rod line. You thrown the spoon over and the line will slide down your down rigger line.

A down rigger rod line Bows as the line travels to the downrigger release. The free slider will travel about 1/2 way down the line and there she will stay.

When a fish hits the cheater and the rod releases, you need to be fast and real in the slack before you set the hook. Ive caught a lot of fish on the slider cheaters, but ive lost a ton as well.

Hope this helps......Matt French

Great info!

Question about Cheaters....We are using Rohmer release's when the fish hit's will the release still release the line??? Or should we run something more like a Black's Release.

Also do you run Spoon on the main line with a spoon as a cheater or can you run SpinDr/Fly low and a spoon on the cheater? I'm sure you can run any configuration that you want but is there one set up more effective?

Bro, I would go with the blacks. I haven't had a lot of luck with the Rohemers(SP?) we use blacks on all our riggers.

As far as lures, I would use spoons on those rigs. What happens is when the rod is released from the down rigger, the cheater will slide down the line to the lure. I think if the cheater was to slide down the line and run into a dodger or a spin dr you would have some problems. If you had a fish on that cheater and the cheater line came up to a dodger, SNAP! there goes that fish. Just my opinion.

My family and I have fished the Lake for over 30 years and boy has it changed. Downriggers were the only way to go. Now its a new ball game with dipseys, slider divers, Lead core, and copper line and thumper rigs. Lots of changes due to the cleaner water. Hope these tips help out.

I usually run a cheater on my dodger fly setups.I have taken some pretty good fish on them with no problems. My cheaters are 4 ft. They do get wrapped around the dodger but its just a matter of a couple wraps or so.Definately not the tangled up mess you would think you would get.I was leary before I tried it but its routine now.

rohmer makes cheater "releases"..... cant think of the name of them......

they work great though. they actually attach to the line and when a fish hits they release and slide down the line. better debth control and better hook ups

LIBERATORS, fixed slider or should be called stacker as thats what your dooing...........they dont slide down till ya bump em into your retreaver..........also roemers are the best for slider fishing as you can stiffen up the release and get better hookups on the slider let the fish hook em self and just reel em in

I've used jolly planner releases and a rubber band as a fixed cheater. Attach a snap swivel to a 8 to 10 or 12 (depends on rod length and your reach over the water) foot leader of flouro for the jolly end and a snap swivel for the lure end. Put the rubber band around the open swivel for the jolly end of the leader. Then let your rigger down with rod and ball release to what ever depth you want it below your cheater say 15 feet. Now attach the jolly to the cable with the thumb screw aduster on the forward side of the cable and clamp it tight there. Pull the rod line down to close the snap swivel around the main rod line leaving the band hanging to attach to the jolly. The other end of the jolly is the wire loop and it goes through the rubber band then latches closed. It's easy and it's controlled at a depth you know and if you have to stop the boat for some reason it will not slide down to the ball. When a strike occurs then the band will break and allow the fish to pull the ball release free and slide on the swivel down to the main line terminal swivel. Be sure not to make your cheater leader longer than you can reach up with your rod to the net. Skipper out