Okuma Magda Pro MA 45DX

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I'll never own another Okuma... Especially the Magda's. Between my buddy and I we had 3 brand new reels blow up in one summer. I've also seen some others that have "issues". The older Magda Pro's were good reels, I have one that is going on 15 years. I just don't trust the new ones. For the little extra money I'll buy the Diawa or Penn.

BTW, the reels that blew up didn't do it while reeling in salmon, they did it with walleye.

I only got the magda's as a cheap reel and didn't expect much. I also bought some of the smaller ones for Ontario as I only go a couple times a yr so if they blow up I don't care. I'd get a better brand if I went more often.

Spike

Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I'll never own another Okuma... Especially the Magda's. Between my buddy and I we had 3 brand new reels blow up in one summer. I've also seen some others that have "issues". The older Magda Pro's were good reels, I have one that is going on 15 years. I just don't trust the new ones. For the little extra money I'll buy the Diawa or Penn.

BTW, the reels that blew up didn't do it while reeling in salmon, they did it with walleye.

Trap,

I'm with you on this one. The convectors are a little better but still have problems. I have had Diawa Sealines for years and they have been awesome reels. I won 2 Convectors a couple years ago at the LOC awards ceremony and sold them and purchases 2 more diawas.

Guys, thank for your info, it really help me lot to realize how they function on specific things. I guess I wont get them.

Ok, mostly of that reel sound like cons to me. little doubt faith on them now.

I'm highly trusted on Penn but I don't want to afford alot money on them.

Daiwa reels sound good to me.

I guess i will look around on Daiwa reels..

Those DAIWA ACCUDEPTH PLUS 47LC looks good but what pro and con about them?

The only problem I ever had with the Diawa's was the drags. I don't mean there's anything wrong with them they just seem to wear out. Take this advice with a grain of salt though. I just this year bought new Diawa's for the first time in like 25 years. So my experience with Diawa's is going back to the 80's, pre LC reels. The 27LC's that I got seem great. I've only used them twice so far, and not gotten a fish to boot, but they seem like quality reels. Time will tell. It's the same story with the Penn 209LC's. I got them toward the end of last season. I used them a couple of times and did get some fish. I like them. Others don't though. Their reason is the slower line retrieve. So it takes a few more cranks to get it in, my buddies want to bring fish in on plane though.

I would not take a Magda reel for free, but I do like the Okuma reels and if I was going to spend the money on a Accudepth I would rather spend ten dollars more and get the Okuma Convector which for the money is worth every penny.

I hear you load and clear, I have two young boys that seem to suck money out of my pocket like lamprey on a lake trout, or is that my wife any how I went cheep thinking I was going to save money when I bought the Magda but in the long run I lost money as I just had to replace it. :beer:

yeah, I understand what you mean.. It will save me in long run.. But I guess, I might can find cheap one when someone try to sell the Okuma Convector.. Hopefully, I can get some of those reel.. If not, I will glad to have some of those DAIWA ACCUDEPTH PLUS 47LC in the boat.

But only time will tell..

Mark,

You want the Daiwa Sealine 47LCA not the cheaper one - accudepth. You could find a used one around $50 bucks each. You will notice that most folks dont sell them because they are highly popular.

Check on craigslist everyday for these hard to find reels.

Mark,

You want the Daiwa Sealine 47LCA not the cheaper one - accudepth. You could find a used one around $50 bucks each. You will notice that most folks dont sell them because they are highly popular.

Check on craigslist everyday for these hard to find reels.

THat was the case with the original accudepth reels, the drags on those were junk and they were quickly discontinued. It is NOT the case with the Accudepth plus. They have the same drags as the Sealines and same internals except for bushings instead of bearings and they are in a less costly graphite frame. I've had 4 of them that have been servind as my power pro and mono diver reels for 3 years now and they are fine as diver reels. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for wires if I needed wire diver reels. I have 2 SG 47 LCA's for wires that are 7 or 8 years old and still work like they were brand new. Just put my 3rd round of fresh wire on them this spring.

Tim

Diawa LCA, LC and Accudepth Plus user here as well, not one issue yet, great bulletproof reels. The Plus series ones perform just like the LCA for much less money. I actually didn't think they would but they are holding up great. Magda's....no good. Walleye wear them out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I couldn't help notice that you all were comparing Okuma to Diawa reels. Diawa is made by Okuma and have been for a while, at least for the trolling series. I have the Magda Pro 15, 20 and the 30 and I've yet to be disappointed. 8)

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I couldn't help notice that you all were comparing Okuma to Diawa reels. Diawa is made by Okuma and have been for a while, at least for the trolling series. I have the Magda Pro 15, 20 and the 30 and I've yet to be disappointed. 8)

I believe you have been out in the sun too long :D:D:D:D