Sandy Creek, 6/19 & 6/20

Hit the high bite out deep for steelies on Saturday...fished blind, as the electronics didn't make the trip to the boat...but we managed a few fish on 125' coppers and wire dipsies out 120'. The single king came down 55'; most of our hits were on green variants or orange crush.

Sunday we stayed in 200-240' and fished the deep program for steelies and kings. We ran into lots of immature kings and small steelhead down 70' on the riggers, out 200' on the wire. While picking up (and hardly moving) we banged a decent king down 70'. It was a spoon program with green and purple predominating, and dark spoons worked much better than lighter tones...overcast conditions???

I'm amazed that the water temperatures are so high. We had 58F down 70' and inside of 200 fow it's more like 62F. Seems more like July than June.

On an unrelated note, I left the bimini for my Lund at Alburgh last week while fishing northern L Champlain...anybody traveling that way in the next week or two who'd have room to bring it back? Long shot, but just thought I'd ask. It'd save me a trip up from L George next month.

Gator

Gator,

We fished Sandy on Saturday morning. We stayed in the inside water, with 61 degree water all the why down to 95, over 120. Looks like a thermocline is deffinately setting up, and a full summer program is what I've been running.

Maybe there won't be an early summer lull in the action.

It sure looks that way. We fished again last nite and managed a dozen hits, but none of the fish were over ten lbs. Lots of smallish kings and steelies, with an occasional 8-9 lb fish thrown into the mix. Good bites from 180-220, scattered 50-95' down. Purple and green NBK, gator, nothing really different...I wish some of those fish Mark was running into over toward the river would migrate this way...or I may have to migrate toward them soon. This is three trips for us with mostly immature fish. Can't complain seeing the rods pop, though, fun either way.

Gator,

I think the big fish are there, but they are deep in the cold water. I can't say of yet weather or not most of my big fish are coming on spoons or flasher/flies, seems to be half and half so far this year. But Deffinatey a full summer program is in order.

We managed 2 big kings on Sat. One on a clean spoon off the rigger, and the other on a spin Dr./Fly combo behind a dipsey. Both fish came over 100 feet down in about 115 FOW. They were deffinately deep on Saturday. I'll be out agian tomarrow morning, 6-26, and expecting to see temps similar to last weekend. I'm Hoping to we can do good again.

Lots of steelies out there too. We took a handfull bites up high too, like 45-60 down.

I'm new to the Sandy Creek port, my boat is a 210 Sportcraft, Jolly II. I scan channels so if you see me give me a shout and say hello.

Chris