Kidney Disease? Eatable?

Good day, went fishing out 50 Point sunday went 3 for 4. Managed to land a 20lb king. Problem is went to clean it and noticed very old lampray mark but it seemed a little different. Then went to gut it and noticed the kidney (just below the spine from front to rear) was full of very hard off white particles, and milky liquid stuff coming out. Wished i had a camera. Anybody seen this before and is the fish still edible.

BTW, caught a Lake Trout, 50' over 120' on a fly.

Thanks

Bob

MMMMmmmm ,"adarodack puss soup" .....id say that might be some good fertilizer ....I Always bleed out ,gut and gill on the water then if ya find a suprise you can dispose of bad fish,and it makes it 100 time cleaner at the fillet station ,and taste better in my opionion...

MMMMmmmm ,"adarodack puss soup" .....id say that might be some good fertilizer ....I Always bleed out ,gut and gill on the water then if ya find a suprise you can dispose of bad fish,and it makes it 100 time cleaner at the fillet station ,and taste better in my opionion...

Hey Ray,

Don't think I'd go posting that all over the Internet , your breaking the law you rebel :lol::rofl::lol: . Does it really make the fish taste better because I've never been a real fan of Lake O fish. Maybe I'm not doing it right ??

Steve

whats illagle? as long as you dont fillet .or keep the skin on and fillet is longer than min length of fish i thought was ok ... if you catch a fish and its gangreen or some other health issue i cant see where catch and release cant be done............

I haven't kept a Lake Ontario fish in the last 8 years. Why take a chance. Its just not worth it, with all the possible diseases they can get these days. Still fun catching but that's where I draw the line.

yup beef is safer , (if its not recalled for ecoli) then ya got lettuce and spinach (whos poopin in the fields)..chicken cook well and wash cuttin boards good,spagettos um their recalled too, try a nice rare cut of pork, venision after a bad bow shot full of gangreen might be good, Horse is big in canada and to the french..I guess no matter what ya eat you could have some issues, the fish in L.O. are actually quite tasty (except big uns lakers,browns,steelheads).Proper care,cleaning and cooking along with the ability to choose the one you want to eat might change your mind ....Just because ive sprouted a full winter coat on my body(hair) gone bald and now have 6 fingers on each of my 3 hands doesnt make me jump to conclusions the fish arnt safe , plus the little fins sproutin from my body helps me swim better ............opps gotta go my gills are gettin dry.................

For the last 8 or so years I've been getting a FREE monthly or bi-monthly newsletter in the mail from Sea Grant called "New York Coastlines" and it some good reading. It'll keep you up to date on the biological happenings on our Lake Ontario.

Its also online at http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/

Now, the information stated in this newsletter is not just word from the weekend warrior fisherman or your local charter buddy. The information comes from conclusions from studies, research and tests done by the experts trained in the fish biology field etc..

Check em out and eat all the fish you want

New York Sea Grant

121 Discovery Hall

Stony Brook University

Stony Brook, New York

11794-5001

Didnt get to read the link yet busy on the boat till dark. Did YOU know 2% of fish imported to this country are inspected, many are farm raised in china (lots of clean water there) and other countries with almost no regulations where many groth hormones are spread in the water (with just a touch of poop) ,

This subject has been brought up on this site many times ,yes ant everything we eat is as safe as some guy in some lab says it is or should be.

I dont put the whole fish guts and all in a blender then eat it , I Inspect 100% of my fish fillet the meat and trim the fat and latteral line ..

Walk behind a nice fancy resturant and see where those " Farm Raised " rainbow trout are from(dumpster dive for boxes).

I ve spent many hours in kitchens of fancy resturants doing maintaince work in the last 25 years and i know My cooking area and fish are many times cleaner and fresher than any "professional state inspected areas" Ive been in... sorry cant have class any more now ive gotta get back to getting boat redone so i can feed my 3 headed son he eats like theeir is no tomorrow.