Opinions of fishing/radar arch.

Hey,

Been looking to put a new fishing/radar arch on my 20 foot walkaround Sunbird. Been looking around to see what the best company to purchase from was (Atlantic towers, GLP) and was just looking for opinions on what you think is best. I've been drooling over the Atlantic Towers 'Tower in a Box' but the price seems a little steep. I've also entertained the idea of a local welding shop making one for me out of aluminum/stainless. Can anyone vouch for a specific model?

I'm looking for about 6-10 rocket launcher tubes, and possibly some halogen lights.

4518294955_98664729d2_o.jpg

4518294799_aec901b600_o.jpg

Opinions?

Cheers,

Austin.

The welder that does repair work on our farm machinery and I cooked up a design for an arch using the Cannon planer board masts that came w/ boat and it turned out pretty nice, but let me give you a couple words of advice on this whole arch topic; First, it doesn't matter whether you buy one or build one, it will only work well if it is installed w/ proper backing plates on the upper and under side of your deck. Look at this issue 1st b/c the bigger the backers, the more stable the arch is going to be (making and or buying and installing the backer plates can add substantially to the total cost of whatever you do. 2cd, I'm not sure you can really put together a cheaper alternative to the manufactured arch setups unless you have access to 'free' materials and don't charge yourself for, and have a bunch of unspoken for, time spent welding ,getting specs and chasing down 'this , that and the next thing'. 3rd, if you are bound & determined to build one I would consider mounting Berkley plastic rod holders on it. I used them and really like them and at $10/ 3 holders (I used 4 for a total of 12 rods up in the arch) you can't beat the price.

Whatever you decide to do you want to include planer reels in the setup- Do it right and do it once! I'll try and find time to get a pic up here of what I put together but again I think maybe a manufactured unit might be the way to go ( because remember; there is no wrath like that of a wife who runs around taking care of all kinds of things while Hubby works on the boat ;) ) -Andy

I had Atlantic Towers build a custom arch to fit my boat.They have patterns on file for a lot of boat brands and models.The custom arch is nice because it's a one piece Arch and is made to fit a specific model boat.

I had them make it with six rod holders. I'm very happy with it.It's made well with 1.90 OD. aluminum tube,with good quality welds.The mounting system is also easy for a do it yourself install.

It cost me about $1,800.00 for the arch including delivery to my house.Delivery can be the downfall if you are not on one of their routes.I live in Massachusetts,and close to rte 91 which is one of their areas they deliver to.

If you have to have it shipped common carrier, it could be very very expensive.On the other hand,I got prices from several other custom fabricators,and all were at least 500 to 1,000 dollars more.

If you have a custom fabricator,or a good welder in your area who is experienced with marine arches it may be the way to go.Also Great lakes Planers makes some nice rocket launchers.I needed the arch to put the Radar dome on ,and also mounted the planer board reels and pulleys to it.

**Chowder is correct about the mounting system.We used 1/4" aluminum baker plates and each mount has three thru bolts.Atlantic supplies good instructions,and they also recommend that you have the arch,a bit wider than the boat,so that you have to pull it in so that it's under tension/stress when mounted.

I can easily hang off it,and i weigh 250 it doesnt budge or flex at all.It is very strong and secure.

100_2387.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

Okay, maybe I will put a little more consideration into Atlantic Towers then. Don't get me wrong, I have heard wonderful things about them.

I'm just not so sure having it shipped from their factory to Ontario, Canada will be the best idea price wise.

Great Lakes Planers for me. I have a 270 Amberjack with a rocket launcher plus with lights and a couple extra rod holders (14 total) that came in at less then $1,200 a few years ago.. The system is totaly ajustable. Could not be more pleased. I was amazed at the quality, and simplicity to install. Great people to deal with and they aim to pleeze.

j3MRi.jpg

Here's what I put together

Bo3A9.jpg

lJdA0.jpg

50VCS.jpg

Whether you buy or build, it's important to make careful measurements w/ the top up in order to wind up w/ a unit that is easy to get rods in/out of and that the reels are accessible and easy to use. Note the angle of the rod holders- if you make them too steep the rods will hang over the fishing space which is not good (especially if you have a little 19' like mine)

Dear Austin Williams

You have a fine arch/fabricator in Ontario, Canada. "Stainless Outfitters" in Barre, Ontario. John Bamford..705-725-1779. They did an all polished stainless T-Top for me on my HD 23' aluminum Jet Boat in 1998. (Last known location).

Atlantic Towers does nice work in aluminum. BUT, Stainless is the top of the line! Let us know if they still are in business, please.

Respectfully submitted'

...............Jet Boat Bill