cayuga 6/20

Hello I am fairly new to this site. I hope to become a regular contributar. I've only had my boat out twice since I got my downriggers and on the advise I got here I took the long drive past seneca to cayuga (deans cove). What a blast we went 6 for 10 On LLs with action all day. from 120' to 250'. with everything being in the top 50 foot. black or silver with green were the hot colors mostly on the sliders. kept two for the grill (first time they were tasty ) put the rest back. Makes me miss the days growing up fishing lake O with my dad. was wondering is this area good all year as its an hour drive for me and do the salmon get bigger as the summer goes on? If not I need to lighten up some tackle for them and keep the heavy stuff for the lakers. I did not get any lakers but fished mainly up high as it was a steady bite.

The shakers are a real 'PITA' on sliders and other presentations in the 40' and up bracket.Cleaning these hitch hikers off high lines is a price you have to pay to 'search' the upper parts of the water column. It's pretty easy to drag these little guys around w/out knowing it - so check your spread frequently (some days are worse than others). Remember Cayuga LLs have to be 18" to be legal. Bigger Salmon and Browns are usually to be found over structure/bait pod combos. I don't typically run baits in just the top part of water I'm working, I like to offer presentations throughout, though this can get tricky over structure. -Andy