Hedges

Bad Habit

Haven't been bass fishing at Hedges in a couple of years. Gave it up because the Gobies seemed to have taken over. Has anyone had any better luck this year? Would love to see it get back to a fraction of what it used to be. It used to be nice to have when the kids were young and the trolling was slow.

Rick

We fished all over in front of the Bluffs on Saturday and didn't even catch a glimps of a smallmouth. Covered from 6 feet to 20 feet and found a whole lot of nothing. Normally this time of year, we at least spot them while drifting. It's possible the gobies have pushed them deeper but who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do a little snorkeling around Hedges last week. I only went out to about 20'. I saw lots of gobies and only one Bass. The water was very warm so they were probably a little deeper if they are there at all. I did see what looked like old spawning beds. It was a beautiful day on a holiday weekend and not a single boat fishing. I guess that should tell me something! Rick

Fished out of Bear Creek Monday evening - trolled all around the water pipes and caught a nice group of bass including a couple of hawgs. Started with fat raps and went to shad raps as the evening wore on.