LOC question

This past weekend there were fishermen who weighed in fish that placed on the board who were treated unfairly in my opinion. It is the general practice that with the fisherman's name, team name, and the equipment & tackle used, we have always given the name of the company who provided or sold us our "winning" tackle(such as flashers, spoons, flies, meat rigs, etc). This practice helps spread the word that these companies sell equipment & tackle that provide good fishing results, thereby increasing their future sales & profits. By using this courtesy gesture toward the companies, their extra profits trickle down to all of us in many ways and helps to keep fishermen interested in these derbies. I know of a couple instances where fishermen caught their winning fish on Big Weenie Brand flies & meat rigs. However, they were denied permission to publish this information, that the name was "offensive to soccer moms", b/c their children were giggling when they read the name on the board. First of all, Big Weenie Brand is a legitimate name, and is well-known throughout the fishing community.....the couple who started the company share a passion for taking in homeless weenie dogs (daschounds), which is how they came up with their name, and all of their packaging, logos, and clothing display an animated picture of a weenie dog next to or below the company name. It is not their fault, or us fishermen's faults, if the children and/or soccer moms have their minds in the gutter! Second of all, if the tournament committee is going to refuse to put one company's actual name, then it's not fair to put any company's names on the board....which is not at all what I think should happen, but we need to make it fair to everybody & allow each business to gain notoriety to have a fair chance to increase their business. If we stop allowing the companies names, then how far do we go with it? If somebody's name is Dick or Peter, is that offensive enough to disallow them to use their names? Or if their last names are something like Bush, Cummings, or Colon? We start doing this, it's going to start an endless cycle of things people are going to argue about & before we know it everybody is offended by the "rules" and the entire thing will turn into pure chaos! I have privately discussed this situation with dozens of other fishermen, including several of their wives, and we all have the same opinion that what happened in this particular instance was completely unfair! The women I talked to all knew exactly that Weenie referred to the type of dog the owners raise, and found nothing offensive whatsoever about the name. The committee forced them to post the tackle company name as "Big We", which is nowhere near the actual name & could cause confusion when a new fisherman comes to a tournament & later shops for tackle from a company named "Big We", which does not exist. Does this mean that next year we may find some people's names listed as "Di Cu" instead of "Dick Cummings"? What a confusion that would cause!! Come on, get real people....all this political correctness stuff has got to stop somewhere!! This is my humble opinion & I just could not let this pass without saying something!

Have to disagree with you here. It's up to the tournament what they want to publish or not publish. There have been a few boat names in the past that have made me cringe too. Not because I personally get offended, but there are a lot of kids in the tournament as well. I personally wouldn't want my 6 yr old asking his school teach what a "big weenie" is :lol:

The company used the name to generate that type of "shock advertising". I'm sure they knew there would be times when their name wouldn't be able to be used.

Nick

I agree with ya Matthew, and I suggested to Gary he use BW a little more in his advertising to give him both options for times like this. He just likes to have a little fun, and I think some people need to loosen up a little. Then again, I don't wear my Big Weenie hat to school functions. A BW hat....now that I could wear ALL the time. It would be great to see them come out with both logos :yes: NK and DW are perfect examples!!!

I spoke with Dave on the phone the other day about Justin's fish, and why he wouldn't include the Big Weenie Brand name. He was cool about it and I understand his position. It's always one or two who ruin it for everyone, and that's pretty much the case here. He's the one who has to deal with these complainers on the phone.

Iwas gonna name my boat after my first cat she was the best pet i ever had to this day...but i was single back then and somehow rather it was true or not i was afraid it would hurt my chances of picking up my dream girl for the night. Its been many years sench her passing but i still think of her (my cat) often ..,

yes even after all these years of marrage i still miss my "LITTLE DINK"

hey she was a small cat.....hmmm wish she was bigger then ida used her name on my boat..

I talked with Dave and he was very cool, he just didnt want all the grief from people who just might have to much time on there hands. No we did not come up with the name for shock value. We work hard and do alot for the fishing, we also spent $30,000.00 of our own money on dogs the last 3 years alone. We try and spread the word on dogs needing rescue, over 300,000 right now on pet finder alone.We are not rich just trying to help out where we can.We pay for a banner on here, as it only seems right if we promote on here. We give to all kinds of tourneys. If anyone is offended by us please dont buy from us and if you fish and get BIG WEENIE stuff for free please give it to someone else.Now the name Rod offends me so I will see about getting that off any posts. Thanks guys, try and have more fun, we will all be dead soon enough, Big Weenie

Well said Gary.Just keep making great flies,and doing the good work.Soccer moms?God the more of them I can offend,the better.I actually find them and their mini vans to be more offensive than four letter words.

Soccer moms.........lol

You guys are funny

Then again I was married to a soccer mom come to think about it, and spent 10 years with her

Best part is I divorced her ass over 10 years ago

Life is great these days !!!!!!!!!!

He He He

Tom

Soccer moms.........lol

You guys are funny

Then again I was married to a soccer mom come to think about it, and spent 10 years with her

Best part is I divorced her ass over 10 years ago

Life is great these days !!!!!!!!!!

He He He

Tom

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Funny Tom. My buddies call it belonging to the "Gold Seal Club" which refers to the seal on the divorce papers! I've been a member of the club since 1999.

The soccer mom is long gone, now I've got a hot salmon fishin' mom :yes: Life is GOOD........

John, with that rough non-slip surface you created on the floors of your boat, you have to be carefull how much you really love your new "redhead"......might cause some unwanted abrasions and imbedded fiberglass shards :o

Yeh, you got that right.She bit me a few weeks ago when I netted a fish.It's not a good idea to wear shorts when you have to lean over the engine box to net a fish.

It is a super non skid,and it looked beautiful for the first season,but I wish I didn't make it such an aggressive finish.It's a b-tch to clean,and now it looks like crap.I think the flattened finish of the gel coat was a mistake,as it absorbs anything that gets spilled on it.

I think I'm going to put a layer of paint on it to knock down the finish a bit and seal it up a bit.