Importance of downrigger speed/temp probe?

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Lund 18

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s):

Time on Water:

Weather/Temp:

Wind Speed/Direction:

Waves:

Surface Temp:

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits:

Total Boated:

Species Breakdown:

Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

How important would you experienced guys say that having a downrigger speed/temp probe is? From the posts, it looks like many of you use them to locate the ideal temps and accurately set speed at the ball (vs SOG, what I'm doing now). Recommendations for type/brand? Precautions to prevent losing such a pricey device? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Pat

I guess I'd ask you, how important is it to you to catch fish ????? You might be able to set a spread of spoons and stumble on to a fish but, if you know the speed at the ball you can combat the wild currents that almost always change the down speed by up too 2.5 mph when there cranking. This weekend did not turn many fish on a west troll, why ???? down speed was different. Turn north/south change of throttle bang, fish on.

Start running spin doctors and they will lose there action if you go to fast, every lure has a perfect speed and when you run them at it they produce more fish but if you want to really "dial" in a hot bite you have to know your down speed.

Steve

Two things you could do, if you don't have 500 bones to drop on a probe. First is get a speed transducer for your fish finder. Not that expensive, and will at least tell you what your surface speed is. Granted, still not better then down speed, but I've given up looking at SOG speed, useless in my book unless you're on plane. The other is to watch what your rods and riggers look like, angle of cable, pull on rod. Like Lund said you would still have to stumble on them, but once you get a few it is easy to replicate. I've got a buddy that doesn't even look at speed readouts, he just looks at the rods and adjusts speed acordingly.

I'll throw a curve out there for discussion. When to we take the sport out and turn 'fishing' into 'catching'?

I mean, hunting with thermal scope on a .300 would increase my chances of getting a big buck...but it doesn't sound so sporting. When does technology ruin the game?

Speed and temp at the ball is nice to have but if you don't have the cash don't feel like there is no other way to tell what is going on down below. Watch your rod tips and rigger cables to indicate how things are running. Some people use a thumper rod. If one cable is going one way and the other, another you know you have a current. I watch my rod tips for the lure action on spoons.

A couple tips if you don't have a probe. Temps at depth can be generally figured by the temp transects page on the NOAA site. If you want to guess which way to troll, figure out by looking at the cable blow back at different directions to figure out down current direction and then troll into the current. You are more likely to catch fish with a spoon that is moving too fast instead of a dead one that is moving too slow. Usually the cables will start whinning when you start to troll into the current.

Yodamage

I understand what you are saying, that is why I enjoy bowhunting more then gun hunting but with that being said this boat and all the stuff that goes with it is a huge cost to me and my family at our income level. So I have to say with only fishing the weekends when the wind lets me and I am always trying to take children and first timers out with me so they can experience the sport, oh and did I mention I am not that great of a fisherman LOL! I think it is nessary to get a little edge when I can!other wise when the fishing is tough and the fish are scattered I dont think I could justify this hobby to my family by telling them well were not catching anything so just enjoy the (expensive) boat ride. Just my 2 cents.

Gene

I used to have a temp probe on a reel that I would send down a cable about every 1/2 hr. It was very accurate and helpful even though it didn't offer speed at the ball. It cost me around $50. Haven't seen one in years. Love to find another! I have always found keeping my speed between 2.2-3.2 on my GPS enough for me.

if you check ebay they have fish hawk handhelds on them once in a while, pretty good prices on them, around 50 bucks. I myself took the plunge this year and bought an X4 fishhawk, i must say that i put some fish in the boat i would never have without it. before i relied on my graph to show me fish and bait, only problem is i didnt mark a lot of fish below 100 fow, now i know the temps and put the riggers in that water, took a few nice kings so far. as far as the down speed, i still look at my rigger cables more than the fish hawk for some reason, guess old habits are hard to break.

I just put one on last year but I have never had any trouble getting fish without it. As long as you've got a good fishfinder, just fish the marks. Some of the best charter captains I know on the lake don't use them. All I ever did was watch the fish finder and watch cable angle. I'm still getting used to using my depth raider so time will tell I guess if it helps me much. Just saying, you don't have to have one to be a good fisherman.

I'll throw a curve out there for discussion. When to we take the sport out and turn 'fishing' into 'catching'?

I mean, hunting with thermal scope on a .300 would increase my chances of getting a big buck...but it doesn't sound so sporting. When does technology ruin the game?

Hey now....ease up! Some days the fish are very hard to catch even with the best technology out there!!!! Every lit bit helps.....and yes it is fun even if you don't catch any....but a lot more fun when you do.

i've dropped two probes this year, one on the fish hawk and one on the depth raider. if i were to buy another speed and temp unit it would be the depth raider because of the replacement cost. both units work about the same but the fish hawk factory settings were WAY off from the actual speed readings!!! i have found it best to set your speed by watching your cables and rod tips, then run at the down speed that your probe is telling you. Temp. is what i focus on first due to currents at different depths. as far as the most important piece of electronics on the boat it's a tough call but the fish(depth) finder is my choice due to the amount of time spent on the finger lakes, 15 ft. one way or the other will change your depth by 20-60 feet. gps is great to give you a heads up for changing depths but some portions of the navtronic maps are not real accurate, auto pilot is almost a must when fishing alone and very nice when you need to net fish or you have doubles on.BUT........ to really enjoy your fishing take grandpas row boat out and flat line !!!!!!!!!!!!

i've dropped two probes this year, one on the fish hawk and one on the depth raider. if i were to buy another speed and temp unit it would be the depth raider because of the replacement cost. both units work about the same but the fish hawk factory settings were WAY off from the actual speed readings!!! i have found it best to set your speed by watching your cables and rod tips, then run at the down speed that your probe is telling you. Temp. is what i focus on first due to currents at different depths. as far as the most important piece of electronics on the boat it's a tough call but the fish(depth) finder is my choice due to the amount of time spent on the finger lakes, 15 ft. one way or the other will change your depth by 20-60 feet. gps is great to give you a heads up for changing depths but some portions of the navtronic maps are not real accurate, auto pilot is almost a must when fishing alone and very nice when you need to net fish or you have doubles on.BUT........ to really enjoy your fishing take grandpas row boat out and flat line !!!!!!!!!!!!