3 Rod/person update.................

I thought it was a 4 rod person rule, I've been running 3 rods per person all season. ---Just Kidding---- Thanks for update and everybody have a safe 4th!

Mower

S06453 Actions:

BILL NO S06453

01/13/2010 REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

06/02/2010 REPORTED AND COMMITTED TO CODES

06/17/2010 COMMITTEE DISCHARGED AND COMMITTED TO RULES

06/18/2010 ORDERED TO THIRD READING CAL.1043

06/18/2010 PASSED SENATE

06/18/2010 DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY

06/18/2010 referred to environmental conservation

You can contact them at this site if you want to do so.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/

S06453 Actions:

BILL NO S06453

01/13/2010 REFERRED TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION

06/02/2010 REPORTED AND COMMITTED TO CODES

06/17/2010 COMMITTEE DISCHARGED AND COMMITTED TO RULES

06/18/2010 ORDERED TO THIRD READING CAL.1043

06/18/2010 PASSED SENATE

06/18/2010 DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY

06/18/2010 referred to environmental conservation

You can contact them at this site if you want to do so.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/

Referred to EC again? Does this mean it will take 6 months before the Assembly votes on it?

• 4 months later...

Found this after seeing an article in the Pa Outdoor News that the Three Rod rule was in front of the PF & BC for approval. Couldn't find the article on the net.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/2 ... limit.html

I realize that this is an old article but in the new article it say it got unanimous approval from the board.

Maybe some fuel for the fire in NYS?

I hope that in the end it works out in favor of sensible regulations for you salmonid chasing guys.

I fish muskies & pike mostly but I've pretty much done it all here in western New York's fantastic fisheries, everything from salmon trolling on Lake Ontario to walleye on Lake Erie, flinging flies for stream trout in at least a dozen counties in the state to drifting the Mowhawk for walleye & tigers to Chautauqua's fabled muskies and the Larry too, New York is likely the single best region to fish for freshwater trophies in the world, bar none.

It is all very diversified.

Likely nobody is using the old "Seth Green rig" anymore or "pulling copper", one man in a rowboat with a handline of copper wire run over one thumb while that hand also works an oar. Times change. Tactics change. The 15 hookpoint rule came from the Seth Green rig and nobody is fishing blind like that anymore with today's electronics.

Very scientific these days but still the mood of the fish is what it is, no guarantees.

We are incredibly successful these days as compared to times past, more often fish in the box and regular limits are the norm. The fishery is what it is, it is not limitless.

Do we need more lines really, many run cheaters anyway and still look for more to satisfy their paying clients. When is enough enough?

Muskie fishing is not salmon fishing, what I consider enough lines out is how many can be realistically managed when a big fish hits without tangles and breakoffs. With muskie I put out one whn alone in the boat, two if more, no matter how many more, two lines.

Can you manage multiple lines when the fire drill is going on and you have a boatload of people who are unfamiliar with being in that situation?

What is all boils down to is conservation over anything else.

I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of the "old" Seth Green rigs and pulling copper. Still used quite a bit on Keuka and Seneca. I still enjoy putting out a 5 spoon rig once in awhile and sometimes it will out fish the "modern" guys. Don't get me wrong, I have two boats both equiped with all the electronics but sometimes it's nice to get back to the Finger Lakes "roots".

Not making fun at all, I have a great reverence for the traditions handed down to us through time. Just citing the advances in technology.

My favorite time on the water is fishing alone in a 12 ft rowboat, no outboard, just oars and one rod, an old True Temper solid glass trolling rod with a wood handle, Penn 209 or an Ocean City reel, 36 lb Cortland dacron, a six ft twist weld leader and a wooden jointed husky Pikie minnow in pikie or perch pattern with glass eyes on Chautauqua, perfection.