Mercruiser Hesitation Issues-

S * K

Well here I am again fourth of july weekend with boat problems. Last time out trolled all day go to shoot back in 9 miles out and hit 15 miles and hour and boat starts to stuter. This happened to my last year and I had to limp in 5mphs and it turned out to be fuel filters on carb. I installed a water seperater this year to try and catch any debris. Well this year my limp was 15mph in. I took it out for a test run after replacing the water seperator which I didn't see any water. Also I forget to add i put a new fuel filter in the fuel pump this year. My test run did the same thing hit half throttle and once over that boat starts to hesitate fast slow / fast slow. Any ideas I have never had the carberator rebuilt I am thinking maybe floats or something. I am by far no mechanic just trying to elimate possibilities. I live in the North Tonawanda area. :(

Have you tried replacing the Plugs/wires? Had similar issue with a boat before and went through the same process you did. Basically gave the motor a tune up - Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condensor, timing. ( Dont know what age and type of motor you have. )

Its a 1986 V6 and runs like a top until NOW cough cough. I put a new cap and rotor on last year spark plugs are one year old and look good. Points / condensor / timing is all new to me it might be the next step. Seems like she wants to go but starving for gas. I put that water seperator on it and I wondering if its messing me up. I might bypass and run a new fuel line to it to see what happens. I just pulled the fuel filter on the carb since it was that last year and it looked good. Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming

The water sep. won't let any thing through if it has water in it. Check the filter, dump it out in a clear jar so you can see if it has water in it.

tried that couldn't see any water - I think maybe the carberator is gummed up ? I have never touched it in my 2 years of owing it and it woulndn't hurt to go thru it. I am going to throw some new plugs it in even though they are fine I figured it can't hurt and I think I am going to run another hose by passing the water separator just to see if that is messing me up as this boat never hard one and I just put it on and maybe reducing gas flow? Who knows but I am pissed as the best fishing is slipping me by. Luckily friend with smaller boat and we can get out but I miss my boat as you get beat to a piss in the 17ft aluminum compared to 21ft fiberglass. What a differnce.

Classic, well last year had a friend of frined who used to be a marine mechanic diagnosis my problem last year which was the in line fuel filter on the Carb. Ran end of last year no problems. With my boat I get one plane and then back off so no big problems. Ran the boat probably 3 to 4 more times that year no problem this year 1 time out no problem. Than it hit with the hestiation. Well long story short I am not a mechanic but pulled the fuel filter and thought it was weird the covered end was facing the fuel line on the filter. I looked at the manual and flipped it around. BINGO :clap: I think friend of friend had to many pops before working on my boat or in a hurry. Not sure why I didn't have a problem last year but I took her for a test run and floored it a couple times and she took right off. UNBELIEVABLE. I was 2 seconds about to rip the CARB off.

Thanks for eveyones input

Not my year - well took boat out after the filter flip and she started up smooth ran no problem trolled about 2 hours and went to run to the next hot bite went up on plane and all of a sudden she died and quite :( 8 miles out lucky I put the kicker motor on. Well she started up again but was still under power and limped in again. this time ticking sound in motor. Nursed her in towards shore and fished the way home. First guess is rocker arm or cylinder hanging up but guessing. Here I go from water issue to now motor -can't win. I am going to check the plugs to see if one is more fouled out than normal since they are brand new or try unplugging the spark plugs to see if she dies out on one. Any suggestions I am thinking of taking up bull heads from the bank at this point :@

Well oil is fine - started to pull the plugs to check them out and first 2 were ok and than 3rd one I could tell something is wrong. Was tough to get out and when I took it out the spark plug was blown up. Top piece of metal gap missing floating around some where. Guesing lifter is shot. Taking it apart to look at the head and most likely taking it to mechanic for the go thru. Only problem is as usual more than backed up and summer will be over by the time they get to it. There is always next year. Can't fish much in August. Lukcy have a smaller back up boat and fishing with a friend. Like my father always says money will fix it.

thanks for everyones input