Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Well I got out with Brian Ward who is responsible for raising some of our fish's at the Caledonia Hatchery :yes: on my boat. We trolled out to 330 and had only gotten 1 steelie in the boat and had lost 2 other fish when the wire out 290 with a white spin Dr and a No See Um fly starts to take off. Well Brian managed top get the big fella into the boat after about a 40 minute fight and we weighed it on my scale which showed it to be 25LB :yes: (I wasn't really sure of how accurate it was :( ) so we took off to get to the weigh station and see how close the scale was and what we ended up with was a 24lb 5 oz gorgeous king. Perfect looking specimen :yes::yes: . Not enough to get us on the board :@ (neither us nor the guy at East Fork marina new what the bottom fish weight was) . We left some nice water that had calmed to a mere 1 foot chop and when we came back out it was a little bumpier :( . Fished for about another hour or hour and a half and only managed 1 more fish that we dropped. I had some serious issues keeping the rods in the water with dipseys triggering and down rigger ball problems again.

BrianWardsbigking001-1-1-1.jpg

I have had my riggers cross 3 times in the last 2 trips out :o:devil: I just put on a 15lb weight on my probe side and have a 12lber on the other and the riggers are both out to the side at 90 degrees and the arms are extended all the way out too. Today they were both set deep in the 100-110 foot range. Any suggestions? I have heard maybe I am dropping the Scottys to fast? It not been one side going over the other all the time it's been the 15 crossing over the 12 and visa versa.

Nice job Tom! Sorry about your rigger issues. We did a big boy out there today too..23#'s. Took a wart frog mag off the 112 rigger. We finished up 9 for 14. Steelies, Cohos and Kings. I think you motored out behind me at one point? I couldnt tell if it was you at the time. Tank

Tom,

what kind of rigger weights are you using? I let my scottys pretty much free fall when I set them and have never had them tangle. I have 15 lb shark on one and a 13 lb Atommik torpedo on the other. I have em 30 or 45 deg off each corner without the booms extended. 8' beam on the Thompson.

Tim

How are your rods loaded? If you have the rods in the holders towards the middle of the transom, you are pulling the weights towards each other. Sounds like you are in a cross current, however. Figure out what direction creates the most blow back and try to troll straight into the current with the cables straight back.

Tom,

I'm guessing the wicked current is your problem the last few times. I used to have problems when I had my Sea Nymph. Those lighter weight aluminum boat get pushed sideways harder when the current is like it is right now. We were going 3.5 mph GPS on the surface tonight to the east in neutral. Going west I had to run 1200 rpm normally I'm running 7-800 rpms to get speed. All I can say is hit the throttle a little on the turns to try and keep things straight or buy yourself a nice new shiny fiberglass boat. That probably doesn't solve your problem but might give you some insight. On a side note, I would always run the same weight balls. Different weights will swing different on turns and lead to tangles.

Thanks guys :yes:

Tim I have a 12lber that's not quite round the black coated one from Gander and the 15lber is a homemade one from TROUTMAN87 here on the site, iy is a "round" on and I am wondering if it's an issue from that one since I didn't have the problem until I swapped it out a couple of trips ago :o:wondering:

I have always let the riggers out relatively quick.

Gill-T, I have my rod holders pitched off towards the corners and usually as far apart as I an get them.

Keith I noticed the same thing abut the rpms and actually mentioned it to Brian while we were fishing. I had some massive blow back at times today :devil: with the speed i was having to run to get 2.7- 3.0 down speed.

The nice new fiberglass ride isn't gonna happen unfortunately. Never really thought about the boat pushing sideways :thinking: I am gonna try running different setups next time out to see what happens.

You know Tank I almost got on the radio and asked if any guys from here were out there :@

Great fish Tom,

I think we've had some wicked currents at the creek the last week or so because were 2 for 3 on tangles the last 3 trips and massive blowback on the westerly troll and I went most of last year without any tangles.

Nice fish guys!

Sorry to have given you the wrong leader board standings when I called you back Brian. Guess I have never needed to read the leaderboard before :rofl: .

Tom sorry to hear about the tangle issues, I feel your pain. Wait a minute, maybe it's Brian, he tangled my wires last time out too :P .

Nice looking picture of the salmon and your boat Tom, but next time find some hot babe at Hamlin Beach to hold the fish instead of Brian :lol:

Keep trying guys the "biggie" is still out there! At least till next week when I hit the water :rofl::rofl::rofl:

LTtroller

(Bob)

Hey Tom,

Rule of thumb so far as I know is always run the same weights in tight quarters. The smaller weight is going to swing more and if you run it deeper can easily cross the larger weight on turns. With twin 14 lb weights off the corners of Nothin' But Net we can scream them down in almost any conditions, and those Marlins put the Mag10a to shame for speed.

Now, puttin' out the dipseys is another thing...

I guess Gambell is the latest to end up in copper/wire h@ll. Keith is opening a business to untangle copper line...$20 a rig. Brian says he'll buy it at scrap prices :D

Gator