Fish Hawk X4 Downrigger probe

I plan on adding a downrigger probe to my arsenal of goodies for Lake O fishing. I am considering the Fish Hawk X4. I have been reading all I can regarding this unit. It seems to be highly rated. I was wondering if I could get some real world info from any of you who have been using or have knowledge of downrigger probes, particularly the X4. Any and all replies would be appreciated. I would like to have one on the boat before we head to Lake O on 7/22. Ease of installation? Ease of use? Durability etc. and how much will this unit help my success rate? I am a Mainer and get to the lake four times a year. Is the money I will be spending worth it.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Install is fairly easy too, I installed mine in a couple hours. Similar to a sonar, you will need to wire the display with 12 volts, and install a transducer, definately worth the money! Once you know the temps and speed at depths, you should catch more fish. I am sure glad I bought one :)

hope this helps.......

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

If you jump to page 2 you will get more info:

Your key question about helping you catch more fish: IMO downspeed is the one factor that hurts more anglers than they realize

The Moor unit and the Fish Hawk seem to be most popular:

Just a few specifics off the top of my head on each:

Fish Hawk:

More expensive (average price $600.00)

Digital head unit

Less precise of a reading, bounces around a bit

No coated cable

Can get away with running braid on riggers

More expensive replacement probe (average price $235.00)

Upgraded last season

Transducer installation needed

Surface temp.

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/

Moor Unit

Average price $400.00

Use of a coated cable needed

Dial type head unit, analog

Very accurate reading

Better availability

No transducer

Average price replacement probe $170.00

No surface temp.

http://www.moorelectronics.com/fishing/fishing.html

The above noted downsides to the X-4 are accurate. The downside to coated cable is it can wear out and need to be changed. The Moore and sub-trol are great units no doubt. I'm Just not a big fan of the cable. The discussion will be similar to the chevy vs Ford arguement. The bottom line is any down temp/speed will put more fish in your boat. Good luck shopping..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

You have to get a signal from your probe to the boat. A coated cable conducts the signal through the cable to your dashboard readout. The fishawk transmits the signal from the probe to a transducer on the hull, (like a fish finder).

The main advantage to a Fish Hawk is that it is easy to put on or remove the probe. I do not run a probe in shallow water so I like it for that reason but there are several downsides, like interference with some fish finders, putting a tranducer on the hull, bouncy readings and poor battery life in the older units.

I hate to sound stupid, but what exactly is coated cable. Why does it need to be coated? and what is it coated with? Where do you find it?

Does anyone else have an opinion on the Moor unit versus the Fish Hawk?

Allen, I was in a similar situation as you earlier this year. I decided to go with the X4 and am glad that I did. I didn't want to monkey around with coated cable. Drilling 2 small holes in the hull was no big deal, use some silicon sealer and you will be fine, just like mounting any transducer. I have no interference from my sonar transducer which is mounted right next to the X4 transducer. I will say that my sonar runs at 200 MHz, I hear that the 50 MHz sonar’s will cause more problems. There is no complexity in using it, it is very intuitive. The customer service seems great, I had a couple of questions, called Fish Hawk and spoke with the owner, nice guy and very helpful. I haven't used it yet on Lake Ontario but have quite a bit in the Fingerlakes, it is quite surprising the speed variations from the surface to the ball. This weekend with 140' of cable out we had to run 4.5 on top to get 2.5 at the ball. Plus we had to go to 140' to find the 48 degree water I was looking for. I feel it was a great investment and am very happy. We only get so many fishing days so why not make the most of them.

Jim

You have to get a signal from your probe to the boat. A coated cable conducts the signal through the cable to your dashboard readout. The fishawk transmits the signal from the probe to a transducer on the hull, (like a fish finder).

The main advantage to a Fish Hawk is that it is easy to put on or remove the probe. I do not run a probe in shallow water so I like it for that reason but there are several downsides, like interference with some fish finders, putting a tranducer on the hull, bouncy readings and poor battery life in the older units.

Greg, it's no more difficult to remove a subtroll or depth raider probe than it is a FH probe. The modified klincher setup is a piece of cake to set up and works perfectly to make the probe removable.

Tim

Nice to get a little debate going. That is what I am looking for, real world comments from guys who have used them. I guess either way I can't go wrong. It should be better than the way I have been doing it and that is blind and guessing at the right depth and speed. I hope I have made the right choice. I just didn't like the sound of messing with covered cable. I ordered the X4 today and hope to have it installed and ready to go before we head to the lake on the 22nd.

Thanks for all of the input! Any other comments are welcome.

Allen

Greg, it's no more difficult to remove a subtroll or depth raider probe than it is a FH probe. The modified klincher setup is a piece of cake to set up and works perfectly to make the probe removable.

Tim

Good to know Tim. When it comes time to replace it.