Dodger/fly combos?

Hi guys,

I never tried fishing with dodger and flies. Reason being we were without a boat for 3 years. Finally got another one last fall but too late for any fishing. I dont have a lot of experience fishing for salmon. My question is what are some good combos to start up with? So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Storm Warning II,

It doesn’t matter to me. I am going to get both and I really appreciate everybody helping me out. You guys are saving me tons of money because I probably would’ve just bought a bunch of different colors.

Thanks again guys,

Pat

When some post, such as what was first asked, I- as others, assume that the question refers to "attractors" and flies. I'm sorry for posting what has been my best flasher/fly rig at mid day. . Now Pat if you want to catch kings on a flasher/meat rig- 11''-pearl fishscale Coyote with a glow frog head trimmed with red bubble eyes. This rig is almost automatic when temps are deep>80 plus and fish are staging. I know that is not a dodger. but you may want to invest in a few of these as well. 11''white Coyotes or Hot Spots are woth having as well. Just trying to help. Good luck.

Ray, thanks for the compliment. Some time when you're up at the Oak, I'll set you up with what I consider my best flasher rig come mid to late Aug and into Sept. I'll start to use the larger flashers in mid Aug. in general. Esp. when we derby fish the Orleans Co and LOC derbies, esp. when temps are deep and fish are prestaging. I believe that these rigs when fished in a certain manner, will provide some of the larger kings to be taken. For instance, depending on the mood of the kings on a particular outing, say those laying in the mud, a flasher /meat rig run 5-8 feet off the bottom,with nothing set around it, will take kings when others are struggling at times. I'll put nothing within 20 feet of this rig.I have put a close friend onto this rig (last post) and tactic, and that is all that he now employs at the same time frame. A second similar rig goes out on wire with an attached 1# weight, straight out the back watching rod tip for proper action. Thumb this rig with clicker on to prevent backlash, let it hit bottom, allow boat movement to then staighten line, let out line again hitting bottom ,then set in rod holder. As long as you are fishing the same line, now you know you are fishing awful close to bottom, this is your tail gunning rig that will sometimes really light up.This requires a degree of work, but puts fish in the boat that would otherwise not be. I just disclosed my # 1 secret for derby fishing. Beings that this is a site to make us all better fishermen, and others have shared their wealth of info, I'm glad to do the same.- Take care- Heavenbound

chinook,

Again i want to say thanks for the info you have given me and everybody else that has given me. This is why i LOVE this site so much. Honest Fishermen that are willing to share information.

Thanks Again,

Pat

Pat, secret #2 to boating large kings come derby time or not. Once the thermocline sets up, always have a presentation set at 42 degrees. If you have speed and temp at the ball. Be it an attractor rig, or a spoon. Once you get below 80 feet especially white cupped spoons start to shine. Best of luck to you this year. Make it a safe one as well.

Chinook That rig sounds interesting. Are you talking a 1lb weight like a small downrigger ball?Or something like a weight off a threeway swivel?

At our port we call em Dodgers if they go side to side. Anything that spins is called a rotator . Saves a lot of confusion.

Stix, the one pound ball is that of a drop weight. (we use to use them with a Jettison release). Now on wire, simply using a coastlock, attach weight by hooking the eyelet of the weight itself, then attach app. 6 foot piece of 30# mono, followed by flasher/meat rig. This way weight stays attached. There are other methods that can be used to obtain drop back distance and depth with these weights, such as applying it by clip. But I've found that by attaching the weight as described, I can read the rod tip better. In my opinion. As far as dodgers(usually metal), the old school was they go side to side in most cases, however with the use if flies, squids and sometimes spoons, don't be afraid to bump speed to the point that they occasionally spin. You may be surprised. As far as rotators, they could be a # of brands. Spin Drs.-coyotes-Hot spots, e-chips among others.