Florida barracuda attack - nasty bite.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OUCH ! That is brutal. I really feel sorry for this girl.

I saw this happen once before back in the 80's when I was in the marines stationed at Kaneohe Bay Hawaii. Apparently this happens fairly often around salt water.

I was headed down to the little fishing pier they have in K bay, walking from the barracks carrying my spinning rod. The base ambulance screamed past me headed straight for the peir. When I got there a minute later they had loaded a guy in the back and taking off already. Seems there were a few guys swimming next to the peir and one had a silver bracelet on his wrist (his Dad was shot down in Vietnam, MIA) and the barracuda went for the silver flash and shredded his hand.

NEVER wear anything shiny when swimming in salt water!

While in the service I did naval demolition and standing orders were to never wear anything highly visible.In spite of that we were accompanied by several barracudas in the 5 to 6 foot range during most of our dives.They were interested in our masks,but they just used to swim along and they never attacked.

Father of the year! :no: - Looks to me like he made sure to get pics of himself holding the fish at the dock with his daughter while she holds her arm in agony before taking her to get 51 stitches!! :no: I wonder if he continued to fish before bringing her in?

Shawn

Father of the year! :no: - Looks to me like he made sure to get pics of himself holding the fish at the dock with his daughter while she holds her arm in agony before taking her to get 51 stitches!! :no: I wonder if he continued to fish before bringing her in?

Shawn

FX that's exactly what I was thinking, for some reason this thread crossed my mind today while at work and it dawned on me seems like this guy spent all day trying to catch a 'cuda and now he's finally got his fish so time for pics!

1.) Knife to the fish's head- check.

2.) Get the girl to the hospital RIGHT NOW- fail.

What a schmuck.