Canandaigua is Hot 07/06/10

Took a trip out of the South end of Canandaigua today we started at 6am and finished up at 11:30. For the first two hours we hit the Lakers on the West side two miles North of the launch. I wanted to run a ten rod spread but I couldn't keep the riggers and the two wire divers in the water. The deep rigger was at 80 and the other at 50 to 65 FOW or where ever I could find the 56 deg temp. The two divers were out 180 and 220 on 1.5 with flasher and flys. We let all the lakers we could go but had to keep some that inhaled the flys to deep. I moved all the riggs up for my Bow program, from 65 to 20 FOW and got my boards out. It was non stop Rainbow action all the way up to when we pulled in the last line. We put 18 bows in the boat with only one that was to short. :o Three of them will hit the grill tonight the rest went back in the lake. The riggers at the 56 deg temp were hot, as well as 200, 300 copper 10 and 12 color core, speed was 2 to 3mph at ball. Small spoons and small sticks 2.5 inches did the trick on the bows. The wire dipsey riggs were non stop on the lakers. The area around Blacks point and South was best for bows today. I wished I lived closer to this lake it put Seneca to shame today. Sean

Sean, Thanks for the report...gives new hope for the next weekend!! Hemlock seems dead with the heat!! Not sure what happens in the dog days of summer? Fished it hard Thursday, Saturday and Monday all for 2 smallmouths...If you dont mind me asking what depth were you finding 56 degree water at?

Chuck

Great news, Canandaigua is turning on. Thanks Sean for the awesome report ..Woodville is much closer for me than Dean's :yes:

Chuck the largies were biten Sunday from 9amto 11am pretty good on Hemmy. My cousin and I launched at the south end at 5 but it took the bite some time to kick in.One bass at 3.5lbs...a few more at 12-14inches We also did 2 really nice pickerel 19 and 22 inches.One bite off next to the boat..really huge toothy critter :P No pics this trip, I don't think of the camera when I'm not targeting trout :lol: Chris

Chris, Nice work on the LM...What happens to the trout in there in the summer? Come to think of it...We did do one rainbow bout 4lb's and lost another nice one last Thursday...40 down over 70...and had 1 laker hooked up 53 over 70...But couldnt buy a bite Sat or Mon...

Chuck

Chuck, not sure exactly why the trout shut down in summer. The only luck I've ever had in July with trout in Hemlock is in that 70ish east side midlake. See small schools in there on the graph, must be seepage from creeeks holding food? I troll through them with double wire dips and pick off 2 or 3 then nothing anywhere else. Also try a cruise over that south flat 70's 80;s had luck in there right off the bottom.

I don't have an outboard for that lake anymore,just a 30hp on my 16smoker or I'd be in there more. My cousin Kevin has a 14smoker 9.9 merc. he's a bass n panfish guy, carves his own wooden lures,paints them up and hammers fish in there.

Hemlock is awsome though once the big lakes fill up with jet skiers and huge cruisers. I almost never pass on a trout hunting trip but if the bass are active its a break from the water fleas and working all the rigging ya know. You got a pm.