Spin Doctors

Seriously, I cannot catch a salmon on a spin doctor. I run at least one in some combination all day every time I fish salmon. I have caught over a dozen salmon in the last few trips alone, and not one on a spinnie. I can catch them on every other dodger known to man- in fact dodgers have caught the majority of my salmon this year- but its usually on a prochip or stinger. I have run the spinnies on riggers, copper and dipseys. Like I said, there is always one out there. I have a dozen of the most popular, regularly mentioned patterns (at 12 bucks a pop)....

Here is how I run things- do you see anything wrong?

1. down speed 1.8-2.5 on the fish hawk

2. leader 20-24 inches

3. 50 lb test flouro with atomik flies

4. I prefer them on dipseys but will use them on riggers/copper occasionally

5. I have tried both the fast and slow holes on the back...

I do well without them, but would love to make spinnies a regular part of my routine. They have alot of great colors and are available everywhere. My guess is that I go too slow, but I am not willing to sacrifice my spoons to that end. Any advice welcome.

Try runnig them on the agressive position on both front and back. I have good luck with them on dipsies and riggers. I use 22-24 inches from the hook bend to the spinnie itself which includes the SD hardware. I sometimes go up to a 27 inch lead if the fish aren't interested. I'm talking 8 inch SD's here. I use 27 to 30 inches on 10 inch models. Sometimes the chips outproduce SDs but sometinmes the SDs rule. Siome guys remove the jewelry from the back end and tie directly to the SD.

I've found 6 inch SDs to work well. I use these with coho candy and you never know what will hit it: king, coho, steelie.

See the Dreamweaver rigging instructions at: http://www.dreamweaverlures.com/images/ ... igging.jpg

The aft hole on the nose will give a faster turn which is why it is listed on the package for slower speeds. Slower speed needs a more agressive setting to get the spin action. On the back end, the agressive point is the end opposite the back edge of the fin.

Seriously, I cannot catch a salmon on a spin doctor.

Same problem here, so I'm assuming it's an acquired skill. Always get a few knock-offs but they aren't one tenth as productive as spoons or plugs. I get to the point where I think I'm wasting a line on them.

An update- I tied the fly line directly onto the provided swivel and made the leader 24" with good success. I was 2 for 3 on kings yesterday (only ran one)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

An update- I tied the fly line directly onto the provided swivel and made the leader 24" with good success. I was 2 for 3 on kings yesterday (only ran one)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Dang, this site is good. ;)