Hummingbird side imaging

• 4 weeks later...

I am finding it useful on lake erie (lots of structure), TBD on lake ontario. I have the 898C SI. Note these units do NOT return bottom depth reliably at running speed - many use a second through hull transducer for this purpose. This deficiency aside, I am satisfied with the unit.

Side and down imaging is only effective and only meant to be ran and read at speeds of under 5mph to get a good picture. I know some guys that have it and in there opinon it's not worth it, good for inland lakes and rivers but for open water fishing/trollers, waste of money. Sponsored walleye pro's have told me so. Save your money.

I bought one when I mostly fished the Finger Lakes and it was great while fishing the steep drop offs.On Lake Ontario I tried it for a while hoping to find fish off to the sides and then steering so the lines off the planer boards run through them,but it is very hard to gauge the distance without back ground structure to go by.

based on my somewhat short but never the less direct experience...

out in the wide open waters like those on the eastern basin of lake erie i have marked bait pods (often with fish on them) off the side imaging that i would not have otherwise found. on my unit it is very easy to mark side images with a waypoint, and then come back over the top. useful feature? well for me more info is better especially in an open lake.

as always, your milage may very...

tight lines!

• 2 weeks later...