Hot Lure: green/purple/chart/black spoons

Trolling Speed: 2.2-2.6

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 275-400

Lure Depth: 40-70

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

got on the water at 4pm and headed straight out of olcott, setup in about 275 fow and right away had the 40' rigger fire and landed a nice 16lbs steelie, sent it back out again and within 10 minutes it fired again but lost it. The action on the riggers died down for awhile but then the dipsys start to fire, #1 setting back 160 took about 3-4 hits with purple on, #3 setting set at 120 got nailed twice soon after, then as i was lowering the rigger that was set at 40' down deeper it also got hit and we had our first double header on. Little while later we had the rigger fire on the turn but it snapped the line because of the flees and a rookie on the rod, started pulling in the rods around 8:30 and with the port side dipsy being the only one left in the water it got hammered again but bent the hook and lost it, sent it right back out and bamm it got nailed again, once again losing the fish..at this point im ready to pull my hair out ..anyways great day for me with 12 hits in 4 1/2 hours i thought was amazing because ive only done this a handfull of times, walleye are to far of a drive during the week. now i had a few questions that i hope i can get some feed back on, i'm wondering wether im losing fish right away because maybe my drags are set either to light or too hard? any thing that can help out with the flees on the lines? and is 25lb big game heayy enough? like i said i'm new to the trolling world for salmon and trout so most of my stuff is for walleye fishing although i have amped up my leaders, is there anything else i should do? thanks for and info guys

Hey onthewater -

Glad to hear you had some good success out there! Loosing fish is part of the game and its going to happen no matter what. Going 7 for 13 is good. Make sure the hooks are sharp and the releases set tight. The advantage of setting the releases tighter is more hookups but the drawback is sometimes you will not get the rods to fire if a shaker hits. Then you end up dragging a shaker around for a while and that messes up the rest of the set.

25lb is plenty strong enough. Most guys run between 15-30lb. 25lb should keep the flees off. Maybe consider running a light leader (say 15lb floro) to stay stealthy. Oh and did I mention sharp hooks?

Best of luck out there!

C

got back out yesterday and i tried tightening up the releases and it seemed to help out :yes: , managed to land 5 out of 7 last night. when i was bring in the rods at the end of the night i poped the outside dipsy and started reeling, then wamm something big hammered it and started peeling line by shortly after got off :devil: . I was wondering do you guys use snubbers when fishing dipsys?