Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 160 - 200

Lure Depth: 50 - 80

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

first post / report...

decided to give trolling a shot.

All the info came from reading these boards..

Dipsy Divers - Spin Doctor / Flasher - Couple different spoons. Green / NBK / Monkey Puke

We set up two dipsy rods (all that will fit on the boat) 16 ft blue finn.

fished NE / SE between 160 and 200 fow.

gear down I'd guess 50 - 80 ft.

We landed a couple rainbows and had a couple serious hits including one that ran a few hundred feet before coming off..

Conclusion: This is going to get expensive.. what a good time. Beats the heck out of sitting in the bay fishing for guppies in 80 degree water dodging jet skis and water skiers..

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this board.. excellent resource.

Thanks Wayne/YT.

I'm certainly excited about this style of fishing.. so much so that I'm heading out again shortly.

The learning curve sure is steep.. Although I grew up around lake ontario (niagara county), I've just recently discovered the wonders of fishing the deep. I've tried some vertical jigging with zero success over the last couple years.. and generally have had to wait until the fall to catch fish during the spawning run. Bass fishing has been a staple but I've always been interested in what is lurking off shore a bit.

The size of my vessel will certainly limit my time on the water as I understand how unforgiving lake ontario can be..

My web browser keeps pointing itself at new/used boat sites.. weird how that happens.

all the best.

I also have a 16 ft boat but ya use what ya got. I use downriggers ,dipseys and leadcore. I use a handheld gps and have a decent fish finder. Downspeed would be nice. I just fish on days that don't get too rough and don't go too far out. Sometimes I get fish and sometimes I don't but that's fishin. The last week has been awesome up and down the lake.

FA,

Do you have trouble controlling your speed/direction? I bought this boat a few years ago and it came with an 80 HP two stroke.. getting it to slow down sufficiently has been a challenge. I tried some drift socks deployed as breaks but that took the control right out of the boat and the experience was very much like trying to bulldog a steer. The boat is aluminum and I feel like it skates around the lake a bit too much to keep a decent bait presentation. I did some tune up this off season and I can now keep it putting around 2.6 without the socks but it still feels a little quick at times.

I do not have downriggers.. and the dipsy rods are spooled with 65 lb power pro braided line. After I put some more time in I plan to improve my setup as my understanding of trolling improves..

Cheers and thanks for the info.. good luck.

Try adding a trolling plate to your outboard. I have a 90 hp outboat and the trolling plate really slow the boat down while keeping rpm's up.

Great job,

Welcome to the site - lots of great resources here with lots of great fishermen/women. There's lots of great folks fishing out of I-Bay - many of which are always eager to give you a hand and great fishing advice.

I fish out of Mayer's on the north end of the Bay - a yellow hardtop Trophy on the end of D-dock.

Stop by anytime you see us around or PM me and I'd love to chat....

Good luck,

- Chris

Welcome to the board. Blue Finn - Now there's a boat! (mine's 18ft)

Don't be too awful concerned with surface speed. Check you lure action off the side/back of the boat while going in different directions. That 2.5 may just be perfect with a NW heading.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Jimmy Ironic as this may sound we were the other small Bluefin fishing near you same depth 120 - 200 and it your right it is a blast and it does get expensive the only thing that beats catching them yourself is putting a child on the end of the rod when a king is running and telling him/her to hang on ! we had a blast Sun. as well best of luck on your future outings..the people on this site are the best i've learned tons....Take care,

Tom

All,

Thanks for the feedback/info! My boat has a maroon soft top. Feel free to swing by should you see me.

I went out last night for a few hours had 4 on.. 1 in the boat then released. I did manage to get caught up on some of the forest that was floating in ~200 fow. no lost gear and only a few minutes of untangling..

I did notice I could tell a lot about lure action based on the bend in the rod.. and as LongLine indicated, the surface speed didn't seem to matter as the current seemed quite strong in places and the direction varied slightly. learning everyday.

Time to wrap up this thread.. Hopefully, I'll be starting another soon when Mr. 30# king decides to visit my boat.. :)

all the best..

Hey thats what the members are here for,,,,,,,,,,,,,well and to bash each other at times...

Now if ya want to be a sucessfull fisherman ya need to learn how to LIE!!!!!~~

to yer wife,,,honest honey they had a big 1 day sale ,,,10 lures for a dollar and the pole was free...