ALL DIPSY'S

Hey guys I am just your average college student so I was looking for some ways to get set up for salmon without going the down rigger route. SO I was thinking that I could run two dipsy mags on the outside of my four rod holders and in the middle I would run two Luhr Jensen Double Deep Six's to get down to the 100 ft range. Of course my lure selection would be a mix of Glo Frogs and NBK's. Oh and I might throw in a Mountain Dew Spin Doctor or two ;P. Either way I just figured that this setup could be a cheaper, stealthier but still viable way to try to get into the Lake O action. But hey I am no pro so I figured I would throw this idea past you guys. Any suggestions or advice about this spread I am thinking of running could be awesome. Thanks guys!

We cleared our gunwales of downriggers and have 6 rod holders mounted. Dipseys on 30# braid with linecounter reels are set on #3 settings outside with dipseys set at 1/2 to 1 settings on the inside. We also use inline planers with lead core line or braid with rubber band held weights. When the fish are really deep, we let out 300 feet of line on our outside lines. This makes netting a fish easy off the side instead off the stern with all the riggers and engine in the way. All our dipseys are black, dark blue or purple. For leaders they must be just short of the length of your rod. Salmon at least 30#, walleye 20# flourocarbon. Thumper rods with a heavy sinker are sometimes used straight off the stern. Make wide turns carefully.

No reason why you can't use only dipsys. I have every sized planing devise out there, including the deep six and double-deep six. If I were to devise a six rod spread for you involving no riggers. It would be a slide diver or leadcore or copper on the outside lines with the leadcore or copper needing in-line planer boards or big boards w/planer mast....to take those lines out WIDE and out of the way. You don't need boards for the slide divers. Middle lines would be size #1 dipsy with braid or wire set on a 3-3.5 setting. Inside dipsys would be a size #1 dipsy with braid or wire set on a .5 or 1 setting. You can't run two deep sixes out the back without tangles. The other option is a six rod all in-line planer leadcore or copper set up. You set the longer lines to the outside, working shorter on the inside lines.