Electric Downrigger Suggestions

After a few days on the "O", I've decided to go to electric downriggers. Besides for the physical exertion, the time needed to reset the riggers is obviously going to be an issue, My question is; what are your recommendations for electric downriigers for an 18' boat? I've been looking at Cannon, Big John and Scotty and can't decide which will fit the bill. Scotty seem to be the cheapest, but are there down sides to their models? I'm looking for the most dependable and least cost downriggers for my situation. Any recommendations? Pros/Cons?

I researched a lot when I decided to upgrade to electrics. I ended up going with the Cannon Mag10-HS. It had all the features I wanted in an electric. I had a chance to try them out over the holiday weekend, and I am very impressed. I especially love the auto-stop feature. But, as mentioned above, each brand offers some very nice features. You just have to compare them and determine which one will do what you want it to.

Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them these days. I have Mag10 HS's and haven't had any problems (bought in 2008). Prior to that I was a manual man like yourself. I picked the HS for the speed of retrieve. Why not have the fastest if you can??? Anyweay that is what I based my opinion on. I did read a lot about Scotty's being well liked, lower profile (which is nice) and Big Jon's have been around a long time. Like I said I picked the mag 10 HS's because of the speed and I had cannon manuals without issues for years so I went that route.

Spike

My mag 10 riggers are 10 years or more old and still run pretty darn well after a new power cable or two. Just picked up a used Sotty off the board here and it is wicked fast and pretty darn simply unit.

Bigjon brutes are the way to go, best rigger out there, gear drive, & a small profile for your boat. The others will take up a lot of room on an 18' foot boat. Plus they have a built in shock absorber so your gunwalls will take much less of a beating.