Strange Question

Okay I'm setting myself up for some good responses on this one. I'm curious if anyone else is having problems with skin irritation on their fingers now that the fleas have started. I know it sounds strange but the last 3 years I have started having serious problems on the hand which I use to clean fleas off the lines. I thought it was a reaction to weeds or something I touched while working or around the house. Ended up at the doctor last year getting steriods and antibotics. It's starting again now, just when the fleas started getting bad. My fishing partner Gator noticed the same thing on his hands last week so I'm wondering if those little SOB are more than just a pain while fishing. Serious replies appreciated, humorous replies expected.

I know for me, I do not have any adverse reactions on my skin. However, if I get the juices from those buggers in a cut or the nicks in my fingers from hooks, etc. or if it gets in my eyes, it stings like a mother! But to answer your question, no I have not had any skin irritation or reaction to the fleas.

My hands get irritated from the flesh of the salmon and trout. I can handle the whole fish in the boat but as soon as I cut them and come in contact with the inner juices or meat, my hands get red and itchy. Tomorrow I'll pay attention if the fleas bother me too. I haven't notice the past couple weekends but if they did get irritated, I probably figured it was the salmon. I wear rubber gloves when filleting salmon and trout, I'm not bothered by bass or walleye though.

In Sweden where they first appeared in the Baltic in the 90s a lot of research has been done on those spiny pests.The allergic reaction you have is very often experienced by the local professional fisherman when the fleas start clogging their nets and it is mentioned in most related research that is being done in Sweden

Keith, No problems on my skin...but if i rub my eyes after striping them from the lines my eyes will burn and water for three days :devil: ... (Canandaigua) I now use antibacterial wipes every time I strip them....or fish a lake that they are not in!!!

Chuck

you can develop an alergy to just about anything so i'm not suprised by this be careful though with allergys each exposure will cause a stronger and stronger reaction. Even a skin irritent can become a serious health risk with repeat exposers. You should get a box of dissposable gloves its like 10 bucks or less for 100 pairs and ware them when cleaning lines. If you have been exposed many times with no irritaion than you probably didnot develope an allergy and the chances that you will go down dramatically. Thas just how the immune system works.

I was up at Kinzua a few weeks ago and slayed the walleyes , got a few punctures in my hand that I used to clean off the fleas burned like heck and had to get an antibiotic from the doctor , never happened before and that was the first time I had flea problem at Kinzua ....I am guessing they are getting their way to all the lakes....Mark