Hot Lure: spin doc - atomik fly

Trolling Speed: 2.6-3.0

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 160-185

Lure Depth: 50-110'

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Great morning out there with my buddy Chris of momay4000 and my niece jena from florida.

King took greenspin doc with - atomik hammer fly on wire 280' over 180 fow.

Brute made 350 run when it first hit.

Nice 20 mins battle with this brute. I was fighting the king while

Jena was driving behind the wheel and chris with net in his hands.

My berkley scale showed 28#.

We decided to head right away to weight the fish.

Certified scale tipped to 32# and 12 oz. Unreal.

Will post photo.

Thanks to the folks at bayside tackle shop for their time weighting in the derby fish.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

EIA9r.jpg

Anthony et al,

Thanks again my friend for my favorite day ever on the water! For those of you who don't know Anthony, he is one of the nicest, most humble people you will ever meet - and a great fisherman to boot. Although we are no longer in "first place" - beaten today by a 33#11 oz. salmon - it was a thrill of a lifetime for me.

It started with relatively rough seas - 2-3', building to 4' out deep but we had a perfect spread set up in no time and within a few minutes a nice fish on our starboard rigger - only to lose her after a few minute fight. Certainly it was a nice king.

After several more hit and misses we boated our first steelhead on a gator Spinny/Hammer fly out 225' over about 180 fow. A little while later we boated a 20# king on a kelly green spinny off the starboard rigger. We were jumping up and down, screaming joyous obscenities like two little kids - thankfully Anthony's niece Jena was just laughing and taking it all in.....but then about 15 minutes later we hit the fish of all fish and all h**l broke loose....

On our port wire Dipsy we had the infamous green dot/white spinny with an A-Tom-Mik Hammer fly out 285' and the beast slammed it unlike anything I've ever seen. My biggest fish to date was a 28# king last year - but this was ridiculous....

The rod was thrashing so much I thought either it or Anthony's arms were going to snap. Within seconds it ran out to 700' on the counter (should have taken a pic of the counter) and I didn't tell Anthony this until now but I accidentally was leaning on the throttle on his kicker and it was floored!!!! I heard Anthony shouting a few more holy #@$%'s but it was actually clumsy ol' me who almost caused us to drop this fish. Funny now - but not funny at the time......

Anthony battled this brute like none other and after about 30 minutes it was landed in the back of the boat with Anthony's 16 year-old niece driving the boat like a 20-yr veteran charter captain in four foot seas - me almost falling in the water trying to net it and several passes of the beast UNDER the boat, near the prop, through the torpedo.......

Honestly, we were high fiving, screaming, swearing, laughing, sweating, hugging like three little kids for about fifteen minutes. Knowing we had something special we knew we had to get back in to weigh it, but Anthony being as humble as he is wanted to stay out longer so his niece could catch more fish.....what a true gentleman.

What a day for three amateurs. It's amazing how this site has helped us all be better fishermen/women and allowed people to meet and share such great times on the water. My hat goes off to Anthony and his niece for a spectacular day on the water......we'll be back at it next weekend - maybe a 40#'er is in our future.

Good luck to all and a special thanks to my buddy Anthony and his niece Jena for an unreal day on the big-O, cheers Big Guy - this one's for you :beer::beer:

- Chris