Hot Lure: Williams spoon

Trolling Speed: 2.5-2.9

Down Speed: ---

Boat Depth: 250

Lure Depth: 40-70

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Well after a slow start yesterday after church I decided to tack the family out thinking the fishing conditions had to improve, well I was not expecting much but not worse but a day with the family out on the lake is a treat on it's own. The fish where not cooperating again I managed to pull one rain bow out which hit my spoon on the surface while I was clearing fleas off my line and that's all the day wrote for fish. The funny thing is when I cleaned the trout out my kids where interested to find out what was in the stomach of the fish so I opened it and the answer is think about this one---answer bottom of pictures

WHp0.jpg

HkhzJ.jpg

What I found is 3 ladybugs and 4 Japanese beetles with spines water fleas that's amazing as I told my kids we should find other bait fish Ha :D

A friend of mine had a bow about 5 pounds die from swallowing the lure last week out there. When he cleaned it I checked the stomach. It was loaded with over 1,000 ants (mostly black, some red). The ants at the fron of the stomach were whole still. Also 20+ lady bugs and 10-20 assorted beetles.

This highlights the amazing feeding diversity of the steelhead! Very cool.

Time to start bringing a fly rod and dry flies to the lake...lol. :rofl:

John

It is quit fascinating how diverse the diet of the fish are and to see them foraging on insects out in the middle of the lake like this would have never crossed my mind. I always thought that the keratin pigment of the flesh was from shrimp but I guess it comes from the bugs on top as well still quite amazing that there is such a bug live out where there is no vegetation.