Bunk vs. rollers

How many of you guys who trailer your boats all summer have bunk trailers? I guess, I should qualify that question by adding guys with 20 foot or bigger boats. I have a 22 foot Starcraft and may be thinking of replacing my trailer. I broke one roller assebly the other day and may be looking at having to replace both roller assemblies and I think the springs need replacing also. Depending on the cost of replacing all this stuff, I'm considering a new or newer trailer. My trailer has roller assemblies with 12 rollers per side and the boat loads and unloads very easily. Just wondering how boats of this size go on and off the trailers with bunks. If I only used it to take the boat to the lake in the spring and bring it home in the fall, I'd go with the bunks for sure due to less cost, less maintenance and maybe more hull support. However, my boat is always on the trailer, except when I'm fishing, so I'm just wondering how the bunks work as far as loading and unloading.

Assuming you are aluminum, it is a non-issue on any but the flattest of ramps. Weight is the issue not length, and a 18 glass may very well outweigh a 22 metal hull. My personal preference on an 'active' boat is rollers over 4000#'s no doubt. 3000's ramp makes a big difference, under 3000 why bother. That's my .02

I found a good deal on bunk tr and replaced the roller setup,boat is 12 in lower on bunk trailer ,good for little guys like me getting in on shore ,less wind resistance towing also as it tucked in a tad better behind van..

also shallow ramps are not a problem IF THEIR LONG ENUF ,ya just gotta get the trailer in the "right depth" as the bunks can be a tad more stubbern for tightening up that extra inch out of the water (ya cant)...I like the bunks now.

I agree with Yoda. I will add, look at the launches you use. I can tell you we took our 18' Wellcraft CC to Olcott last summer. Ha, what a joke. I think my dad had the front tires of the truck in the water before the boat would float off. Personaly, we never had anything but roller trailers untill that Wellcraft. From here on out we'll never have anouther bunk.

I have roller-bunks I got thru Cablea's a few years ago only put two on and have the reg. bunks with the glide stuff on the other two. 20.5' Starcraft works well for me, I launch by myself at Lodi on Seneca all the time.

I've never had any trouble launching or loading either my old 19' bayliner or my current 24' Thompson at Olcott (or any other ramp for that matter) with the bulk trailers. I've personally seen more people have trouble loading boats onto roller trailers straight than I have bunks. If the trailer is set up properly, bunk trailers should be self centering as long as you don't have it backed in too far.

I prefer bunks myself, I think they support a boat better, especialy heavy ones like my Thompson. On an aluminum boat, probably not an issue

Tim

For an aluminum boat that is trailered a lot, a bunk trailer would be a better choice as the bunks distribute the weight of the boat over more surface area. As a result, there are fewer pressure points that can lead to leaks down the road. Over time, the concentration of the wieght of the boat on a few rollers can result in the loosening of the rivets, which is what causes the leaks. Bunk slides made of heavy plastic can be used to reduce the friction that the boat has with a bunk trailer, thus making launching and loading from a bunk trailer easier.

I always had rollers until my current boat ( 20' aluminum Crestliner Sabre) . As Ray indicates it sets lower and trailers better but it is a bit harder to load. I have the bunk slicks on my trailer and also a big electric winch - not sure I would want to hand crank it on much.

In general rollers seemed better for loading but the bunks seems better for everything else

I had a 19ft fiberglass Sunbird that sat on bunks, it was a pain in the butt if there was any wind at all, I added side rollers and it helped marginally, I now have a 21ft fiberglass trohpy that weighs in at 4000 plus and the trailer is an "Easy Load " roller set up. The boat self aligns and is easily winched into place. So, I have expirenced both and I do prefer the roller set up. I have a a 4 ton trailer that needs some work that is available. if you interested send me a pm and I'll send some pic's right now a 22ft crestliner is sitting on it.

ted

IMO Ray said it right with getting to know your trailer and how far you need to back in. We have rollers under our Penn Yan and bunks under our Smoker Craft. As long as you get the trailers in close to where they need to be, the boats crank right on easy. I find the rollers easier to tighten up on land though.