golden rainbow trout

Legacy

Thanks for the pic. I never knew there was such a species. I did a little googling and found this about the Golden.

It looks like it was swimming to close to a nuclear reactor.

Golden Rainbow Trout Oncorhynchus mykiss

Species overview: The golden rainbow trout is a gold-orange rainbow trout raised under artificial fish culture conditions and stocked as a novelty for angling sport. The golden rainbow was developed from one fish, a single female trout with a genetic mutation that gave her a mixed golden and normal rainbow trout coloration. She was found in the West Virginia hatchery system in 1954. Through selective breeding with regularly marked rainbow trout, an all-gold, golden rainbow trout was developed. In 1963, this fish strain was popularized as the “West Virginia Centennial Golden Trout.†Pennsylvania and other states hybridized the pure strain of West Virginia golden trout with normal rainbows and produced palomino trout, which were true genetic palominos. Palomino trout were first stocked in Pennsylvania in 1967. Since then, the genetic strain in Pennsylvania has weakened, but in recent years the hybrid was selectively bred back closer to the stronger, better-colored golden rainbow trout. Although palominos were stocked as both average-sized and large trout, today’s golden rainbow is raised only to trophy size for anglers and stocked throughout the state.

The golden rainbow trout is a different species than the golden trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita) of some California streams. In fish hatcheries, the rainbow trout has occasionally produced other unusual genetic mutations, such as the blue rainbow trout, whose body color is sky-blue.

Identification: Golden rainbows are a deep golden-yellow in body color, with pinkish lower fins, pink or red tones on their cheeks and with the rainbow’s reddish lateral stripe. There is no spotting on the body or fins. The Pennsylvania record golden rainbow trout is over 11 pounds.

Habitat: The golden rainbow trout’s habitat preferences are identical to those of the normally colored rainbow trout. It is stocked throughout the state in appropriate trout waters. No rainbow trout or golden rainbows are planted in the Lake Erie watershed.

Life history: The golden rainbow is reared in fish culture stations. Spawning in the wild is unlikely, because golden rainbows are highly visible in streams both to anglers and predators like blue herons and ospreys. Golden rainbows and palomino rainbows grow larger and faster than regular rainbows. They have “hybrid vigor,†a trait often seen in crossbred plants and animals. Their food preferences are similar to those of other trout.

The Golden rainbow is also bred and stocked in West Virginia. They can be found wild in the Potomac River. These Pics are at Smoke Hole Caverns Resort. (Nice place we Honeymooned there last year) The ponds are privately owned but can be fished.

It is a beaiutiful fish and a rare catch in the wild Congratulations! :beer:

aBbZ9.jpg

aBjsA.jpg

hmm "Golden salmon" if the state bleached out a couple salmon and sent them up the river in sept . they could give out 1000 lifting tickets per mile.....

We could ballance the state budget by altmar... :lol: .

A crossbreed of asian carp and a king might might be fun to watch bust through the "leg dams" at the elete fishing zone..

Thanks for sharing

nice fish ,pa stocks a few of them in the streams 'round here for the first day of trout-- need a helmet when you walk anywhere near a hole with one in it there is more hardware getting chucked at them than you can imagine !! last one i caught was ---well it was a while i can tell you that i was trolling with an f5 flatfish with my grandad on duckharbor in nepa

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice fish Rob. They stock them in a stream down the street from me....poor buggers have a hard time hiding. Everyone enjoys targeting them, so after the first couple days they become a rare find in streams.