Chautauqua Musky Cash Tournament October 2nd

• 2 weeks later...

The Hi-Fins do have a problem with the bolts coming loose from the molded inserts,so I put star washers on them and tourge them tight.The screw towards the head I replace with one slightly bigger in diameter and longer in length,putting super glue in the hole before tightening.Super glue and closed cell polyerathane foam work very good together for any Hi-Fin mends as well!

One thing is to not bend the 90 degree bend accross the lip if the lure runs one direction.Instead bend a 1/8 inch side wing on the lip on the side it is running out to,this will pull it back to running true.Sometimes the ones that don't run straight out bof the box,with adjustment of added bent wing on the lip catch more fish,they kick to the side they wanted to run out on and the bend brings it back to center.This little side to center kick gets more hits! If you bend the 90 degree bend you will fight with the lure forever ,never getting it to run right.Three pull settings on the Niagara Lip,near nose is deep high close vibration setting,hooking both split rings together on the snap is the intermediate depth setting with more action and near the end of the lip stting is the shallow most active setting.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

Chad,My brother took all the pictures of the Steelhead & Kings,once he sends them my way I'll post a few,he also got married and is in Mexico on his honeymoon,but he waited till we got done fishing before he got hitched.I did 7 days of guideing on the Skajit River in the Cascade Mtns & Hoh River in the Olympic Mtns.More steelhead then salmon were caught.

The Oct 2nd date was not ment to take away from the Waneta Tourney,that was the only date Mayville had open for the facilities.

Mr. Toothy is going to try to move the date for Waneta either the weekend before or after Oct 2nd.This way all can fish both--EXCEPT CHAD!!!! Brad,sorry I did not have an open date when you called,I was in the middle of Seattle rush hour traffic when you called so could not chat much.

Capt. Larry

I`ll be there,i`ll be paying for 2(self and kevin) spots hopefully next week.I know lee and wendy are coming as well.We just made our reservations today.I`m hoping to make it to chauatauqua before that and give dave a call.Made it waneta the week of the storm and boated a 45 and 39 for an outta towner.2 more smaller ones last saturday

Cya larry

BobS

Bob,I will head down to Chautauqua in the morning. The heavy winds will give out a few practice waves as we head for November and the Buffalo Harbor.Every big wind so far has produced a 48" to 50" musky to my boat for a short visit.Ray's six muskies in one day with me was when the winds were 22 mph out of the NW as well!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

good luck. i want to go! lexie and i will be there next weekend for 2 days.

6Fo1J.jpg this is one of the fish on my new lures. 6 hits on this one lure in 2x out and is now resting on the bottom of waneta after i found out it can hit 25 ft.

6Fy0i.jpg

these are two of a bunch i am bringing to chautauqua next weekend. foils look cool to me, i have a bunch of firetiger, orange tiger, redhorse, and perch colors and i hope to only run my lures. we will see.

Hey Larry -

Can't wait to see some pics of the steelhead and kings you got. I have been out on Ontario the last two days taking advantage of the nice weather and the staging kings. Here are a couple we got:

Chad_Salmon1.jpg

Joe_Salmon1.jpg

Both fish released unharmed to finish out the remaining few months of their life-cycle.

Oct. 2nd will be here soon enough and I will be thinking of you guys as I walk down the isle..... well maybe that statement isn't entirely true but don't think that I wasn't bummed when I found out that date. I am really hoping for some nice weather that day for both our sakes. Two more weeks of salmon fishing for me then I gear up for some fall time musky fishin'. I'm still upset Kate (the future wife) wouldn't let me register at the Happy Hooker baitshop..... she just doesn't understand what our household REALLYYYY needs :lol:

well, since we have hijacked larry's thread all ready i will add some fishing p*rn from last night.

afA8S.jpg

spent half of my 3 hours out there tuning cranks but this little guy thought that foiled perch was for dinner but this one had hooks and most likely didn't taste the way he wanted it to. lost one other on that same lure that i had on for 4-5 seconds and my so called "perfect storm" never really happened. i was expecting way higher winds and some nasty rain but it never happened. oh well at least i didn't get soaked.

agfyi.jpg

floating weed were as bad as i have seen them all year. shallows were pretty much off limits last night b/c of the 20lb globs of floating junk weeds all around it.

P.S. chad- how deep are those "mud-sharks" you are catching? gonna give it a try sooner or later, i have downriggers in the garage but have never put them on the boat yet and i don't know what i am waiting for but eventually.

P.S.S. thanks joe esox- i have been playing around alot w/ lures and i finally think i have the best lip/ weight/ length combo figured out for my style of fishing. these babies are as good as any deep diving shad style lure i have used IMO and the fish seem to hitting them also which doesn't hurt.

Zach -

80-120 foot of water, on or near bottom. Good bait and lots of big fish. From Sandy all the way down to Irondequit has been good the last week or so. Not sure what this weekend weather will do to the fishing though. If you get a chance, definitely give it a try this year especially. The class of fish out there now is as big as I have ever seen in my years fishing this lake. You have a chance at a true trophy fish in 2010.

Chad

(Zach) Saw you out there on Fri. Wanted to say "hi" but you looked like a man on a mission...glad to see you changed your "moto". You are as good as musky fishing as the Saints are at winning!! (to all) Musky fishing for Aug. was as tough as it gets (for summer fishing anyways). Does anyone know how algae blooms effect muskies, seems as though something had them shut off most/all of the time. Waneta surface temp was mid to upper 80's for a while (yikes!). Those toothy guys don't like it too much when it is that high (some fish took more than 30-40 mins. to revive). Capt. Larry, I am intrigued by your surgery story, was it fishing related? Or was it carpel tunnel (sp?) from all of those years fishing. Will be around Thurs- Sun for a memorial tourney, maybe we'll bump into one another. Later dudes!!

Musky Lips, The Surgery was from a trebble hook that got in my hand when a pleasure boat ran over and stopped 10 ft from a 50"er in the net that I was unhooking.The wake from the boat caused the water to rise 4 ft and the muskie thrashed and when the water came down I got snagged on the back of the hand by the crankbaits tail hook.50"er thrashing pulling the hook point in deep,client cut hook to close and tendons pulled hook into my hand between the nerves and tendons.Fish two more days before surgery to remove the hook.Anyone besides Ray J going to send in their Entry Fee?

NMA Meeting Seminar on Chautauqua Lake tonight ,then back to Chautauqua Lake for 12 days on the water with clients.

Capt. Larry