copper knots

NO KNOTS! The fish doctor, Ernie L, uses the inline Spro swivels. Im not sure how Tom from ATOMIK is doing his, but I would imagine its the same. When hooking the copper to the swivel it is more of a wrap than a knot. I need to learn how to do it but if you would like I can take a picture of it tomarrow and post it, but its not going to tell you how to do it.

I have my copper in all the time now. In the Orleans Pro-Am it took my biggest king. Since I have been running it the set-up has taken a fish every trip except for this past weekend. Kinda big and bulky, but it WORKS.

We have had the best results using the spro power swivels as per Ernie. The connection is called a haywire twist. You put the copper thru the spro swivel twice and then wrap the copper back on to itself. You wrap the copper on loose for a couple of wraps and then tightly together to finish it . We have added shrink tubing over the copper side of the connection to maintain the integrity of the backing and/or the leader if it should come in contact with any sharp edges left exposed, otherwise.

100_9621.jpg

The top shows an Albright knot. It does not seem to hold up to our lake ontario kings. The haywire twist as per Ernie IS the way to go.

The bottom shows the haywire twist without the shrink tube on it yet!

The leader is tied on with a clinch knot( double thru the hole). The backing is tied on with a double palomar knot. A single Palomar has a tendency to slip with the superlines.