I just bought a pair of wire setups with daiwa accudepth 47 reels loaded with 1000 feet of wire paired with 8'6" daiwa heartland rods with twilli tips. Are these rods too short for wire?

I have fished with tcon from this board and he might have that set up, I can't recall exactly but I liked his set ups better than my Eagle Claw 9'6" diver rods. Maybe he can comment. Hey Tom what do you have?

8'6" medium heavy Daiwa Wilderness rods rated up to 30 lb line capacity

I believe these rods are to be used for dipsey diver use. Any rods with medium or medium heavy are sufficient.

So two votes in favor I feel less stressed. I have always used shorter rods on my inside dipsy's even when fishing for walleye on lake erie. I planned to use the wire with dipseys set on 1 or 1.5 to get deeper and let the outside dipseys be my high divers I might even give the lite bites a try this summer they are still in the package from when I bought them two years ago since I will be running mono on the outside 10' rods.

J,

I have the same set up but cant remember off hand whether my rods are 8 or 8 1/2 but they are medium fast action shimano tdr's and I'm very happy with them...I use them primarily on Hemlock in a 14' boat and the shorter rods are much easier to handle when netting a fish. They seem to have plenty of backbone.

Tom

ps- I checked when I got home they are 8' rods.

I use the the 7' Talora Med. fast action (it's actually listed by Shimano as a rigger rod) w/ a Twili. My 12 year old can handle mature Kings w/ this rod. Remember; the longer the rod, the less leverage you have on the fish!-Andy

Thank you all for the excellent feedback! I feel absolutely confident in this choise now and even better considering that the rods, reels and line are in excellent condition and were less expensive for two wire set ups than I would have paid for one brand new! Hope to give them a dip theis weekend. If not for sure over the first two weeks of August.