spent last week in big gull lake.1 hour nw of kingston.the fishing was ok.caught most of the eyes in 20fow or less off of points and islands.most took jigs and black mister twisters.spent saturday tring new areas and techniques.a few northerns caught and a story of a lifetime on a muskie that was not landed but was caught 5 times!!.5 days 4 guys35 walleyes caught/not bad but we worked hard for them.if any body wants more info ill post it on this thread.and so long 4 now;john

Hey JW-

I've been going to Big Gull Lake once a year for the last 30 years. Normally in the fall - September. I used to go in June years ago - the fishing was really good then. I was at a neighboring lake (Kashwakamak Lake) over Memorial Day weekend and our group didn't do as well. Worked really hard for a couple walleyes a day each. Where do you stay when you go?

Hey-

I've always stayed just around the corner from Kirks at Newton's cottages. Started going there when I was a little kid. A little more rustic (no hot water or showers), but we've been able to manage, and know a lot of people that go there now. I'll be up again in September. I've heard the bay just west of Kirks is full of people from Rochester. Please feel free to share any info you have.

My family used to rent a cabin there every year in the summer when I was a kid......The walleye and pike fishing was always the best.....I have not been there since graduating high school in 1989...Me and some buddies fished a week there and went to Crotch Lake for a day of fishing......You are congering up some memories...Caught some monster Pike and some real tasty Eyes..........Woody...

i hada bobber rig set up with a red#6 mustad hook on 4lb line usin a 10ft noodle rod.its great for eyes!!but i wasnt usin it too many weeds.the only thing in the water was the red hook.i caught a fairly large sunfish on a bare hook!! so i tell my fishin partner bob ill use the sunny for bait for ****e and giggles.it wasnt in the water 1 min and the bobber is gone,so i causually set the hook50 yrds of line later fish off.i reel in still have sunny,try again ,5mins later bobber gone and flyin throgh the water.i wait let him chow down set the hook and bam straight out of the movie jaws its headed for the boat!!i play the fish foe 5 mins i never see it but bob says your net aint big enough!!.fish off.this little game goes on 3 more times.had this fish on 5 times !!!!!and could never get the hook set.usin a #6 mustad just couldnt do the job and thats all i had[never again]i saw the musky the 5th time and it was between 40 and 45 in.the biggest fish ive ever seen.if i didnt have a witness i wouldnt believe it.well thats my big gull lake story..cant wait till next year with treble hooks

Next time hook the sunny thru the back from side to side. Wait till the bobber goes under. Let the fish run with the bail open. The bobber will come back up to the surface. When it goes under the second time, close the bail, reel in the slack, set the hook HARD. You'll get him. ;) Just don't try to horse him in. Play it and tire him out. Trust me, I've caught a lot of them.

Neat to see some fellow members that fish Big Gull Lake. Heading up there this Sat for a week. Have fished up there for over 25 years, most years 3 trips per summer but have toned it down to once in June each year since LO salmon trolling has gotten in the way. Used to stay at Holiday Haven at the NE end. Also fished Crotch Lake pretty heavy for 5-6 yrs. Have been staying at Kirk Kove for the last 9 years. We have only ever taken a few walleyes up to 8 lbs from there but numbers have always been good and can be phenomenal. Here's a link to Kirk Kove's site: http://www.holidayjunction.com/property/canada/ontario/kirk_kove. If you check out their photo section there is a pic of me and the kids with a stringer of eyes. Jim and Claire bought Kirk Kove a few years ago and are real nice people to deal with.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys-

Just got back from my fall trip to Big Gull. Could only go for 4 days as my fishing buddy had a work commitment he couldn't get out of. We did pretty well. Had 1 fish fry up there and brought back our limit. Wound up throwing back way more than we kept - the 12"-14" fish were the most aggressive. Got 1 nice pike and lost a monster walleye (well, a monster for that lake - probably 5+ lbs.). All in all a good trip. My buddy is probably more interested in photography than fishing, and got some great shots of the Bald Eagles that hang around the lake. Wound up doing as well as anyone else we talked to; found the fish were consitently in 25' to 28' on the drop-offs. Probably won't get back up there until next fall.

JW-

This time of year the camp is only half full or less. Mabe 6 of the 14 cabins were rented. The camp owner now shuts down 2 weeks after memorial day. He used to stay open until canadian thanksgiving, so I have been up in october before. It snowed on us once then! Sounds like we hit much better weather up there than was here.

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Big Gull Lake - I'm trying to find info on Newton's Cottages (originally owned by Harold Newton) on Big Gull Lake. I haven't been up there in probably 20 years and would like to return for some fishing this summer. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks[/b]