Ruff Rider catches new LOC leading steelhead! (almost)

God it hurts to make another one of these posts.... ;(

A rod pops ... the wife grabs it and reels down... the fish jumps a good 4ft out of the water... most amazing thing I've seen fishing the lake...

DSCN9583.jpg

DSCN9579.jpg

The fish hit the deck at 37" and 20.5lbs. Too bad the friends we had out didn't have derby tickets :@

Only twice this year have we taken friends out... both times we've had derby fish! Sad thing is, we had another one on immediately after that I'm pretty sure was bigger... straightened out our swivel after another amazing aerial show.

Nick

Hows that go fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me :lol: Thats a GREAT FISH Your still a winner to get that in !!! I love to watch them jump. Nice job!!!!

I was reading this a few days ago and was pretty grumpy at the time. I was about to say "how in the hell do you not make your buddies buy a derby ticket?". You have 10's of thousands of dollars tied up in boat and gear and they cant spend $15 to go fishing with you?

Two shots at derby cash and your out....

For future reference you and your buddies can register on-line in about 5 minutes at http://www.loc.org/derby/registration/r ... e_java.asp

P.S. I must still be a little grumpy :)

Very nice fish though!

Hey guys sorry for the lack of info... I was in a bit of a rush as we were prepping for the proam. The fish took a monkey puke holographic down 55' over 120fow.

I tried hard to talk the wife into mounting it, but we already have a 20lb steelie from 3 years ago on the wall. Also, that fish was 37 inches... and at $12-14 per inch... ouch!

Made for some damn big steelie fillets though!

We thought the skinny steelie was pretty nice until we landed the monster :clap:

Unfortunately, the steelies completely dissappeared for the pro-am... and they were pretty much my game plan along with a few kings. :@

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
I was reading this a few days ago and was pretty grumpy at the time. I was about to say "how in the hell do you not make your buddies buy a derby ticket?". You have 10's of thousands of dollars tied up in boat and gear and they cant spend $15 to go fishing with you?

Trust me when I say EVERY person who comes up to fish with us ****es about getting the $25 derby ticket. Most of them **** about getting the $75 fishing license. Some understand better than others and offer to buy dinner or pay for gas. Many don't offer anything. Some hand us $20 and act like that should more than cover it. :o

At the end of the day we enjoy having friends and family on the boats and if they give the "we won't fish if you make us buy that" we usually end up taking them anyways.

The two cases we've had this year where it mattered were both last minute decisions to have fellow "captains" out with us... in that case we don't ever ask for $ as they have their own boat costs. But we probably should start to make those guys get derby tickets ;)

Oh and Rick the wife was too cheap to mount it. I offered to split the costs with her as I would have really liked to replace the other steelie with this one (you know that story) and yes we definitely would have brought it to a different person!

Nick