the FIRST 40lber of the yr!

Hey Big Dave,Your right about the 5 year old,that could do it but I think not. Back in the seventies or eighties the boy's at the Salmon River hatchery treated a batch of salmon eggs so they would not spawn till maybe 5-6 years old to try and get a 50lber. No luck. I think they need to go into salt water to get that size. I say enjoy the 30lbers and a 40+ will be a bonus .Tight line and keep on dreaming. :yes::yes:

They don't need to go into salt to achieve that size, it would take a different genetic strain than the Tule Strain Chinooks we have in the great lakes. The Kenai River kings get to the sizes they do because that genetic strain matures at 7 years instead if 3/4 like ours do.

Still, we've hit high 47 lb fish in the past on Lake Ontario, so I suppose it is always possible for one to hit 50, unlikley though.

Tim

Still, we've hit high 47 lb fish in the past on Lake Ontario, so I suppose it is always possible for one to hit 50, unlikley though.

Tim

Chinook Salmon/ 47 lb. 13 oz./ Kurtis Killian/ Orange Fly/ Salmon River, Oswego Co. 9/7/91

I think if a fish that big,47+lbs came into the hatchery there would be pictures on the front page and the BBC news at 6:00 world wide. :D:D:D

Stay tuned, The way things are going this year, you might see it. Wishful thinking. I would love to see Lake Ontario put out another pig like that. Just imagine what it would do for fishing on Lake Ontario. I can here it now, come and fish the only Great Lake with big salmon. Oh wait, thats true now. :D