sumer fishing finger lakes continued

runing two balls 35 50 with 3 inch spoons 2 lead core 200 feet flasher fly

How about a bit more detail? From the statement above I take it you generally run 2 riggers at 35 and 50 down w/ 3" spoons and 2 Lead core rigs. I'm not sure what you mean by saying "2 lead core 200 feet". You will not get down 200' deep with any amount of core, especially with a flasher on it, because the flasher makes the core kind of float up. Tell us how many colors or feet of lead core you are letting out -you will get about 5' down for every 30' of core you have out. After 12-13 colors though the stuff won't get you down much further because it 'blows back' up.

Just off hand I'd suggest you consider the idea of getting setup with 1 or 2 wire dipsy diver rigs and run the flasher/flies off them. Then you could put spoons on those cores and run them off to the sides off inline boards. You might also want to run one of your spoon riggers down past the thermocline, like 60-70' or so.

We could probably help a bit more if you could tell us what depth water you are trolling in, what species you are most interested in targeting and approximately what your surface speed is. -Andy

Heres what we have been running the past few weeks and it seems to have been working.

Forget the riggers for now, run two dipsys off 50# braided back 200ft with a 15' to 20' leader, I've been using 10# fluorocarbon. Run ether spoons or stick baits, but run flashers in front and adjust the dipsys to run out to the side down around 50'.

Then run two lead cores with 2oz and 3oz keel weights back about 150 to 175ft, and again a 15' to 20' leader using your choice of bait, no flasher on these set ups though. I run these two straight down the pipe.

Now we have been running 2 to 2.8 mph in 120fow to about 165fow, we've run in Seneca, Canandagua, and Kueka the past three weeks and caught fish in all three lakes with consistency. Personally I've been using any chrome or chrome/blue spoons.

Hi Indian,

I've heard about guys running long leaders behind dipsys like you suggest but I have never tried it because I am not sure how to handle netting a fish with that much leader. Do you just reel in as far as you can and then hand-line the fish from there or what?

Thanks.

Hey mjb 377, Just use a 'Slide Diver'. Slide Divers allow you to have a leader as long as you want.When it trips it 'slides' back to a bead that is just in front of a short (2') leader that goes to your flasher or spoon. I have several sets of these for different purposes and use them instead of regular dipsy divers. http://www.slidediver.com/cart/home.php

Also, for any of you guys that are interested in running a long leader behind short lead cores to make them more versatile, you may want to consider 'Snap weight'. http://www.offshoretackle.com/weights.htm

They are easy to remove from the line (I usually attach them to the backing). When you have a fish on , or to change out , you just remove the snap weight and continiue on w/ the business at hand- much simpler than trying to wind a long leader around your hand (don't even try the hand wrapping trick w/ a Chinook!) -Andy

Remember guys I use this set-up only in the finger lakes. Most fish you'll get down here are only around 4 or 5 lbs, so I reel up to the dipsy and then with my expert net woman, hand line in the fish and let it drop back into the net, simple as that.

Thanks cowder for that info! I was wondering what I was gonna do this fall on lake Ontario, Like he says, don't even think about trying the hand lineing with a fish on lake Ontario!

Oh and like he says, snap weights are the ticket, they work like a charm, got mine at Bass pro for cheap.

I find that flashers...especially spin doctors seem to work better with about a 6 foot leader back from my diver and about 8 or 10 feet back from my downrigger ball. The longer the leader is, the less action the flasher seems to give off.

Thanks for the info on the divers guys. Those snap weights sound interesting as well. Does anyone have any info on how much depth each ounce of snap weight will add to the leadcore?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Try out these Torpedo Divers. I have 4 of them and they are pretty cool to fish with. They won't replace my riggers or divers but that are nice to fish with and get the job done.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/