Ballast for Islander bow?

chowder

I have put so much gear + kicker in the stern section of my little Islander that she's pointing up quite a bit. I'm thinking 150-200Lbs of sandbags placed low as far up as I can get? Thanks, -Andy

That will make the bow ride lower in the water & obviously increase the weight of the boat. You may want to put the bags is a plastic pail or something, if possible. A broken bag will release a lot of sand into the bildge.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

You could use weight plates (for weight lifting at the gym). I have used the plastic coated ones for my smaller boat with good results, they won"t rust, and you can probably find some on Craig's list cheap.

Dave

Andy, I was trying to get a rise out of you but to no avail.................

.....all kidding aside. Trim tabs may be your fix for a quicker on plane attitude which will give you much better handling. I went with the Lenco electrics because of space issues for the pumps using hydraulics.

Now where were we,..........oh ya.

Last reported sighting of Chowder's boat and crew was they were heading south towards Kidders Sunday afternoon.. ..............swaD9.jpg

Mike, I wish I had a picture of me, Ray K, MuskyBob, and Schools Out (Nick) trying to get Ray's boat up on plane last year at Olcott, now that baby needed some tabs allright! I'm going to eventually get Hank at L&M to put a Tab system in it , but I'm trying to ride out the year in 'low rent' style. See you on the water sometime!-Andy

P.S. How did the big steering/AP project come out?

I have the same problem with my Islander sans the kicker. Put Bennett trim tabs on they help handling and trim on plane but still have trouble getting on plane. Next will be a Dol Fin and if that doesn't work probably a prop change.

Mine tips while on plane , with the helm and me on the high side :o I have thought about a tab on the port side. If the passenger moves behind me it levels out. Have a dolefin the boat gets on plane fine with a 165 hp 3.7 liter four.

Mine does get on plane pretty good. I put a smaller 4 blade prop on it and it goes right to work, + a lot cheaper than tabs. I put the sandbags in today after talking w/ MuskyBob, who did the same thing last year and I can tell you that it all ready looks better just sitting in the water.-Andy

Know any fat chicks that like to fish?? Dave thats gotta be a lie!! Well unless that 4ft X 8ft sheet of plywood on the starboard side (trim board ) is a tad big for your side try trimmin off a few inches.. Next time im out having a burger and sucking some sun I dont need anyone takin my pic for the whole world to see...you guys are really ganging up on a little guy. hmm wheres my donuts??

Know any fat chicks that like to fish?? Dave thats gotta be a lie!! Well unless that 4ft X 8ft sheet of plywood on the starboard side (trim board ) is a tad big for your side try trimmin off a few inches.. Next time im out having a burger and sucking some sun I dont need anyone takin my pic for the whole world to see...you guys are really ganging up on a little guy. hmm wheres my donuts??

Oh shoot Ray, I saw a real big one just today when I was up at the Bay, but I didn't have your number handy, sorry! -Andy

My 22 ft Islander jumps up on plane with it's 4.3.

I too know of the light bow attitude of those boats.

Have been considering adding a little weight myself.

Speaking of Islanders, All Seasons Sports, has a 22 ft. hard-top out front for sale.

It was "Reel Silver's" boat. :)

Scott