GPS question

I have a question reguarding GPS. I went out and punched up my waypoint right away that I have been getting fish at and it pointed me to go south instead of north :? Then when I went and I punched in Sandy creek on the way back in and it had me going south but a mile east of the creek :? :? . I haven't fished that much out there so when I got to the shore line it didn't look familiar so I asked a guy on shore and he said I was east about 1 mile. When I headed west my Sandy marker showed up on the screen in front of Sandy. When I got to the creek I punched up my fishing spot again and it had it pointed in the right direction this time.

What would cause this, any ideas :?:

Tom,

First of all I would try a 1-800 call to the GPS manufacture hot line and describe what happened. I am sure they will tell you the problem and hopefully the inexpensive fix or adjustment. PS You are welcome for the directions back to Sandy Mon .nite. That was me on the telephone in my front yard you came into. In the future if you see my glass front of house you know you are east of Sandy creek. Your welcome to stop by anytime in the future

By car or boat your choice :lol:

Great to meet you again !

Jerry

REBEL

eeeehhh =to far north ,howdy partner= to far west,youall=to far south ,baaaston=to far east,, nother sleepless night hmm ,time for a little compass class it saved my butt before i knew how to use my gps.next time out take a good look at the shoreline for some identifying land marks or ya could face your truck towards the lake and leave your lights on :shock: lets see first trip to olcott ya got lost,nother trip ya ran outa gas at the launch,now your going in circles bothering relaxing folks along shore hollering where am I,where am I ,you need to get a big ball of flight line tie one end to your truck and let it out as you go out they sell it at airports just walk up to the ticket person and ask for a large size ball of flight line its pretty cheep too..GO BILLS !!!

Thanks Jerry :!: I thought I was east just wasn't sure how far. I haven't fished east of Sandy until last night, it's always been straight out or west and I couldn't see the pump house (you know the "identifing land mark on shore" I use!) to the west. I was more shocked with the fact that the gps was screwie. Since I saw you on the shore I figured I would ask. It's the first time I have had a problem with it, and like I said when I got back to the front of Sandy it worked fine :shock: . I'll take you up on your offer some time.

Raymond, I would have to say that me running out the gas at the dock was perfect on my part that's knowing my boat. Got out all the old gas and the Evinrude has been running great since then. We don't want to get into your SIPHONING WATER OUT OF THE GAS/WHICH TANK DO WE HAVE GAS IN SITUATION :? :$ AT OLCOTT DO WE ;).

Ray, Pro/Am doesn't look like it's gonna work for me ;(

Tom, check the clock on the gps is set to the correct time. The internal software matches the time of day with where the satalites "should be".... if the two are out of sinc you could get a bad fix.......

my 2 cents

Jim

A couple points about GPS, excuse me if you are aware of them. If you were sitting at a dock or dead in the water and punched in a coordinate, the GPS can give you a bearing, but the direction arrow won't point in the proper direction until the boat is underway and it has gotten a direction of travel from the satellites. Once underway then the arrow should point you in the right direction. Also your GPS uses Map Datum. If you recorded your waypoints using one map datum and somehow the Map Datum got changed in your setup menu, it could cause you to be off course.

Fishinman, You should have a good compass on your boat that you know how to use and verify your GPS readings. Its true you have to be moving to get accurate readings. It gets easier with time. Been there and did that. Good luck and good catching.

:lol::lol::lol: Ray! I was moving and I do have a compass that I can read just wasn't paying attention to it overall. I just needed to see structures on the shore a few more times to know, like I said hadn't been east really at all. On the way back in it had me heading south I just didn't realize I was that far east. You know out by yourself setting and resetting poles, leaning overboard to take pee :shock: :$ , boats doing some circles.

Thanks for all your input and help. Ray does the power buttom look like your wiper switch :shock: ;)