Not really sure that this fits here, but here goes...

For the first time since I have owned my boat, it will be in a port NOT named Sodus- I am taking it to Oak Orchard 7/23-8/23. I have fished Sodus with someone else or on my own boat for 10 years now, but now live in Greece, and Sodus aint exactly close... I will be fishing this weekend in the Oak hopefully the 24th and 25th. I am perfectly capable of catching fish, but have NO experience in this area- therefore I have no clue what the landmarks are, the layout of the port, etc. I wanna do my homework. Likely I will buy a topo map of the west end.

What I am wondering is if anyone farmiliar with the area wants to go fishing with me. I have a very seaworthy 24 foot boat, the gas, the tackle (basically everything) under control. All that I need is a person farmiliar with the area to tag along and make sure I know whats what. Hell, as far as I am concerned you can even catch most of the fish (for the proam this weekend my teammates were VERY slow and I ended up catching most of the fish :). Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys. Feel free to PM me

This will get you started http://www.attheoak.com/. The landmarks and locations page along with the depth of water are good things to have on your boat. The reports refer to them often. I'm still learning the area myself, and have found that there will be a group of guys catching fish in 100fow and another group of guys out in 300+fow having banner days. PM me with contact info if you want to fish sometime.

Shawn

I don't really think you need a topo map for the oak. There is very little structure so it is mostly about temprature. The only real structure of interest starts about a mile East of the breakwall. There is a hump that gos from about 20 fow to 40 fow real fast. Then following a path a little to the east there is a ridge that goes from 40 to 50 fow for about a mile or two. Some times it is worth fishing that structure some times it is waste of time. The water is very warm in there now so most activity is out in 100 fow or plus.

In August there are two ways to fish the Oak. The near shore program is mostly east of the wall. Most days you will see a train of boats working west to east at 90 to 120 FOW, then about 5 miles down they will turn around and head back. This is fishing for staging kings and you want to fish low and slow. Flasher and flys, Mag spoons or cut bait all near the bottom.

The second way is to go off shore. On most days there will be a number of boats way off shore and you can just seek out the depth they are at. This is the area where the thermocline is moving up from deeper water. Run higher and faster with spoons and spin Docs /fly combos for steelhead and teenage kings.

You never have to go too far east or west at the Oak in August. Fish north and south, sometimes the off shore fish are way out so be carefull if you have to go out there. I would jump on board with you but I am busy the next three weekends. If you ever go out after work send me a PM.

Like FX said all the information you need for landmarks and just about anything you need to Know is on At the Oaks there is a wealth of information there.The fishing the last two weeks has been on fire at the Oaks you,won't have a problem catching fish.I normally fish Olcott and do better than I do at the Oaks but the last 2 weeks at the Oaks have been some of the best fishing I have ever had.I have not done very good on the Kings but you can't beat the bows off your hook.The average size has been great with most fish over 10lbs.Last Saturday the day started with a double of 10 and 11 pound bows before 6am I love when that happens.We had a steady pick the rest of the day boated 11 fish lost 5 or 6 fish and were blown off the lake by 2.Not all bad for 2 guys and 4 rods.The Saturday before we did 18 fish with at least 10 fish over 10 lbs.We have been fishing mostly 220 to 320 we have run out as far as 500 but so far that hasn't been nearly as productive.I am sure we would do better on the Kings a little shallower but I have been having a blast with the bows.I will dial in on the Kings a little more for the Fall Derby.We have been running Spin Docs and flies on wire divers and spoons with sliders on the riggers. Good luck

Like FX said all the information you need for landmarks and just about anything you need to Know is on At the Oaks there is a wealth of information there.The fishing the last two weeks has been on fire at the Oaks you,won't have a problem catching fish.I normally fish Olcott and do better than I do at the Oaks but the last 2 weeks at the Oaks have been some of the best fishing I have ever had.I have not done very good on the Kings but you can't beat the bows off your hook.The average size has been great with most fish over 10lbs.Last Saturday the day started with a double of 10 and 11 pound bows before 6am I love when that happens.We had a steady pick the rest of the day boated 11 fish lost 5 or 6 fish and were blown off the lake by 2.Not all bad for 2 guys and 4 rods.The Saturday before we did 18 fish with at least 10 fish over 10 lbs.We have been fishing mostly 220 to 320 we have run out as far as 500 but so far that hasn't been nearly as productive.I am sure we would do better on the Kings a little shallower but I have been having a blast with the bows.I will dial in on the Kings a little more for the Fall Derby.We have been running Spin Docs and flies on wire divers and spoons with sliders on the riggers. Good luck