Changes for AM'S IN PRO AM'S

Hey Del......I talked with the screamer/atomik boys and they wanted me to post thier proposed changes for them since they arent members of the board. So here they go:

1. No bonus laker - make it part of the limit like the Pro's

2. 9 fish limit-> because once we reach the east end the fishing is most likely gonna go deep, and these fish wont be able to survive getting brought up into 70 degree water and then released. Keep the 2 man team with the observer needing a fishing license, and a 9 fish limit is still legal

3. No Communication

You're all nuts :P

1) Lose the bonus laker

2) Keep the 6 fish limit

3) Lose the need for the observer - not really a need if you can release fish

4) Allow two man teams, with no observer (can't do this if you up the limit of fish past 6, hence why I want it kept at 6)

5) Lose the can/us boundary issue

6) Open communication

Nick

Since the am division only gained 3-4 teams this year, they should go back to the way it was. We'll keep fishing the pro-ams but I hear of a bunch of unhappy teams that might not. Which will mean less teams in the future. It doesn't look like the tournament will get more than 35-40 am teams a year anyways. It's just about the same group of guys every year. Which is fine by me. :)

Anybody find the cup formula confussing? If im reaing it correctly, we had less points than teams with lower standings. It doesnt matter because we were not in top 3, but just wondering what the formula was.

Jeff

Del,

I would prefer the rules we have always used in Oswego. With that said, I would like to at least see the following changes.

- No Communication

- 9 Fish limit with lake trout either as a bonus, or like the pro division.

- Fishing to end at a specified time. (This would eliminate any advantage one port would have over another). In the Oswego tourny having to be inside the pierheads by a specific time will, in most cases, give a huge advantage to the boats fishing out of Oswego versus those fishing out of the Little Salmon.

John Williams

NICK if closed communication was droped because it could not be inforced with a observer how is a six fish limit going to be with no observer? DEL

Uh... well you bring six fish into the weigh-in. If you bring seven... pretty sure people there can count :P Not sure I understand your point? If you mean what if people put six fish on board and then keep fishing, catch 3 more and use some of those towards their "pot".... I think that's fine if they have 3 people on board. You're still only bringing your top 6 fish in and you still haven't broken the law. That or say you need to stop at 6 fish and it's by the honor system. It's never perfect... same thing could be said about a 9 fish limit.

For me, it's just very difficult to find an observer usually, not to mention... on my smaller boat... they'd almost definitely get in the way :)

Nick

NICK All i am saying is an observer is needed with the rules as the are now and how they were in the past. I know it is hard to box out in 45 min with 6 fish then bounce bottom for 6 hr for a laker and release bigger salmon. This is what we did. Yes I think the limit should be 9 fish. The first 9 leagle ones caught. If they want us to pick the top 5 fine. I am getting imput about the rules because they changed them with out asking the people that have fished these for years. I know a observer is a big pain we had to scamble for one this last time because of last minute ploblem. Good luck and I hope to fish against or for that matter with you sometime. DEL

Del,I talked with PAUL from orleans pro/am commitee.about the am division on monday after niagara pro/am I know how you and team screamer feel I ask Paul if it could be possible to get an individual from the am side to be a liaison,work with am teams and also the pro/am rules commitee this way the am division will have some a voice I TOLD him i would like to discuss with him and the pro /am commitee,also you and your team and the rest of the amateur teams. see you in oswego lets work together and things can only improve. //////LESTER //////kicker

Lots of good opinions going here.

One more thing I'll add.... they have to STOP changing the rules!

Change this one last time and then stick to them... at least for a few years. I think that it may only be adding fuel to the fire.

Nick

Leave the rules the way they are for this year. Seems there has been an increase in teams so maybe these changes were needed. I will be fishing the Oswego one and possibly the Sodus. Getting time from work is tough for me and my team not to mention gas prices. I wouldn't mind seeing the limit increased to 9, open communication as I like to talk to folks while out there. That way your wife can say hi when you by us, and I can yell at the non tourney fisherman that just cut my dipsey off. You still need observers but with the new 2 man 6 rod rule that should leave room for the observer on the smaller boats.

Janz

Team "More On"

As an observer for '05 and '06 for Yankee Troller I can say he hired two observers those years so one day I observed and the other day I fished. I think that is a good idea if you are having trouble "hiring" an observer. Also I learned alot in those two years and I just fished the Niagara Pro Am with Yankee. I observed one year with Glen of Spoonfed and the other year was with Lil Bit Cra Z. After talking to Yankee's '07 Niagara Pro Am observer he was on a boat that sounded like a very fun group of guys albeit one guy was mooning every boat that went by and other unmentionables but it sounded like they knew how to have fun. Willie Nelson's "Bloody Mary Morning" was that boat's song I think. I know this is a competition and it costs money to be in it but it is all about having fun. Just ask the Mayor of Wilson, now that guy knows how to flare up a party.

I have fished as an AM and now fish as part of a Pro team.Next year I may switch back to AM and fish with my sons.I think they should lose the Lake Trout as an extra. 1 as part of your 9 would be ok. 9 fish limit would be better just like the Pros 12.Box out and go back to the dock.The way the rules are set up now a lot of fish will be killed by warm water trying to cull fish in Oswego and Sodus.Now the big item open Communication it really doesn't matter.I have fished both and I'd rather see all talk than a few text message.The AM teams are posting and working to change for next year-way to go guys-The pro's seem happy with their rules except for the east end.I am from the east end and we all need work together on these changes.I have heard from some Pro's-They changed the rules and were not going to fish.Take example for the Am's and work to make the tournament better and keep them growing.And please fish and have a good time.

See you all in Oswego and Sodus

Greg D

Team Dreamchaser