2 copper set ups?

I wouldnt run two coppers own the chute but I do run a copper and a pump handle down the chute over top of four riggers. The copper and pump handle do not tangle because the handle is deeper faster than the copper but still out further than the riggers.

The additional keels come half the weight of the initial keel according to Big Jon. Does the extra weight cause them to dive? Does anyone else do this? Keep the advice coming, I appreciate it.

No they wont dive with the extra weight if u get the smaller weight. If u get the full size 2nd keel the boards will sink if tow line breaks. Don't ask me how i know :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Have used Amish outfitters plastic boards and the otter boats on my boat but not with a double keel. The amish boards pull harder on my boat by far no issues with multiple cores or coppers. I have used the Auroras on anothers boat and they are the hardest pulling boards I have personally seen. I have to turn towards the amish and put er in neutral to get em in.

I started w/ Riveira duals and they porpoised and didn't pull, so I got a pair of Otters. The Otters didn't porpoise but they didn't pull very good w/ copper or at slow speeds w/ stix. I thought pretty hard about getting the 2cd keel and a couple things kept me from doing it; 1.) they were not cheap 2.) The material that Otters are made of make me nervous- All the original hardware kept loosening up and working thru the body and it seems like one false step from one of the kids and that's gonna be it for one of these boards (and they are not easy to keep out of the way due to the awkward shape) 3.) I figured if I was going to dump more $ into boards I might as well get something else and at least have a decent backup (the Otters) kicking around.

I talked w/ a bunch of Erie charter captains and they all suggested the Aurora boards or Frank's (Amish Outfitters). At the time Frank was not making plastic boards so I got the Auroras. I really like these boards. They really pull, they don't porpoise, and I can retrieve them when I'm fishing alone at trolling speed (I do have an AP). I run them on my Islander w/ Big Jon planer reels loaded w/ Frank's, heavy duty Spectra planer line w/ Aurora shockers. I do use the Otters all winter in my 165 Alumacraft and it's nice not to have to handle wet hardware when it's 15 degrees out, but they flat out don't perform any where near as well as the Auroras. -Andy

Chowder,

Ever have one of those boards flip upside down on you in big waves? I'm curious what happens at that point with them. We fish in really rough water a lot and I can't afford to have my boards flip over and take out my entire spread like my old traditional boards would when they flipped. I loved the way they pulled when the water was calm, but once it got rough they were a nightmare. How do the Aurora or Frank's boards handle being upside down?

Chowder,

Ever have one of those boards flip upside down on you in big waves? I'm curious what happens at that point with them. We fish in really rough water a lot and I can't afford to have my boards flip over and take out my entire spread like my old traditional boards would when they flipped. I loved the way they pulled when the water was calm, but once it got rough they were a nightmare. How do the Aurora or Frank's boards handle being upside down?

I fish Erie mostly and rough water is our game, 3-5s are a nice normal day for us if we waited for Lake O water we would never fish. I have never had a plastic Amish board flip on me running snubbers with my boards, and I do not know of anyone in my circle, everyone runs amish or Auroras, that have had one flip and dive. Will they dive if they flip sure they will, but the way they pull and with the snubbers I don't see flipping happening. Of course I only average 80 days on the water a year pulling boards, but the vast majority of charters on Erie run these boards as well. Multiple long coppers on one board and they still pull hard, no modifications needed. Just my .02

You must be thinking of the West end of Lake O, because the East end isn't flat much! I'd personally have to see them run in 5-7 footers before I'd trust them to not flip over. I've had several brands of regular boards flip over far too many times to ever go back to them unless I see it with my own eyes - my Otters are in my opinion a far superior board for rough water and are easily the #1 board run by most charters on the East end of Lake Ontario for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using Otters last month and found they easily pull 2 coppers, 300 and 400 and a full core or, a copper and a full core. with a 600 copper, I could only run a full core. They don't like flat water and run better with a chop. Surprisingly, they run fine under water. I watched mine dissappear about 5 feet under and just track there, no harm, no foul.

I learned not have my wife quickly pull in a board at idle. It wrapped around the boat. I was fighting a 40 lb'er at the time and needed the boat cleared to chase it.

• 1 year later...
001-22.jpg

002-21.jpg

i would highly suggest the big fender washers like iv added on mine... and the heavier white tow line as the powerpro (250lb) and dbl keel upgrade will make a huge difference on how they tow... theres no lag in the board towing a 500 and 600 copper off the same side!

I'm assuming you use one of the original holes on the other side, made the boards parallel and added the second hole. Is that correct? I'm upgrading mine and searched to find info but came up short (I suck at searching).

Thanks,

Spike