Jigging for Lake Trout!

Hey I have become really interested in jigging for lake trout but I really have no idea how/what/where/when to do it. I could really use some info on this topic. If you guys know anything feel free to comment. Also I stress this is about jigging not trolling.

The Niagara Bar at Fort Niagara is a popular place to jig for lakers in the fall/winter/spring.

Here's some good info from John DeLorenzo's Website on drifing and Jigging the trench on the inside of the bar at the river mouth (at the green can)

http://www.niagarariverguides.com/sys-t ... iagarabar/

Tim

You could probably put it to practice anywhere you can find them. Lake trout are lake trout everywhere and jigging is a proven method to catching them in numbers. Crippled herring lures, heavy wobbling spoons and big bucktails work great in the reservoirs here. No reason they wouldn't on Lake O.

PM Gator or Keith from this site. They are the jigging kings in the Spring on the Bar. Look at the past Spring LOC derbies and you will see the boat name Nothin But Net a lot.

You might want to check out the Sanders website for threads on this topic or look at some of my past posts for tips. Jigging lake trout in the Finger Lakes has been popularized recently by John Gaulke, a guide out of Ithaca, and you could try a half day with him to get some pointers. Jigging in L. Ontario is a different beast, though. In the Finger Lakes it's not unusual to jig at depths of 150' using a PowerPro/flourocarbon combo and a 1oz plastic or diamond-type spoon. In L. Ontario, on the other hand, the currents kill you. Even when there's no wind or if you use an electric to maintain position, you still have to deal with currents that make maintaining contact with bottom and feeling hits a real bear. Not saying it can't be done, just that the native conditions make it less amenable to the technique. Except of course the Bar in the Spring... and that's a whole 'nother story. Good luck! If you give it a try, post results.

Gator