Walleye discussion

Gill-T

I have been wondering where all the walleye talk has been? I know there a lot of people fishing for them, and yet there is very little discussion on this forum. Come on walleye guys!!

Back away from the keyboard and you will live to see tomorrow !!! If you call Barcolina harbor those guys at the launch will give you a very accurate report..

Im shure Capt.John ."Times two" charters will perk up here ..Too

If things are going as well as they were setting up to be the reports should be EXCELLENT !!

The way the winds have been and hearing C.G. warnings of 60 mph gust on eastern end of Erie this weekend might have a tad effects to any reports..

Except for the guys dredging on Erie, I've been perplexed by the lack of eye chatter myself. It's been an unusually busy Spring and Summer for me so except for opening night on Honeoye, I haven't been out to report anything. I'm hoping to get out on I Bay for the night bite soon.

How high Mark? I usually have out mini-disks out 200' on braid (15'-20' down?) as my high lines, but have always wondered if a two-color core or deep diving crankbait fished clean might take some fish.

Fished Erie on Monday and Tuesday for "eyes". We launched out of Shades Beach launch south of North East on Tuesday. We were told they were catching lot of eyes out of the launch slightly to the west in 40 fow. We marked a lot of fish but had no luck. Bottom bounced with worm harnesses...had a few hits but didn't connect. We then trolled with reef runners and spoons on riggers down 40' hooked into a smallmouth. Had the dipseys out with worm harnesses with no luck. All we caught on Monday further to the west (in 4 footers) were sheepheads. We were told this was a hot spot in the early am and the early pm, but we had no luck. It was too nice on Tuesday for the eyes I guess.

I'll be hitting Erie next week for five days.. fishing out of Barcelona. Did decent last trip out late last month.. hope to get better numbers this time. I'll post a report when I get back. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Lake Erie has been an enigma for us this year. Plenty of fish and bait on the screen, few fish coming in over ther the gunwale. Even the perch schools are hard to find but you get them trolling for walleye. Only one good day a week it seems. In 70 foot of water, the botttom shows ten feet solid fish and bait, but three hours the other evening yielded 1 perch and 1 sheephead using Commissioners Grandit's Arkansas minnows.

Went to Barcolina harbor for the first time and had the best day in my book. We put eight in the boat with the smallest being 18in and the biggest going over 8 lbs. The fish where between 82 and 102 down 60-70 ft. All worm harnesses off riggers. I think if we had dipsies we would of had an even better day. Some nice guys at the dock from olean helped us out with an acturate report.

We also seem to do better running deeper than most.. and it seems that most of out larger fish come deeper. As for the downriggers.. they just don't work well for us! I've tried running long leads (100 ft.) and diving stickbaits, but the dipsies always outperform them by far. Snap weights off the boards work well for us also. We've got several leadcore rigs but they seldom get used.. just hate the feel of the stuff! Walleyes fight poor enough as it is. With leadcore I don't know if it's a fish or a trash bag till it's at the boat! Gotta go tie up some harnesses for next week. We'll be out at Barcelona from Wed. thru Sun... anyone else from LOU going to be out there? Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

For you Barcelona guys, I have never fished there. Do most fish to the west towards Erie? How is the trashfish situation? I spent an exhusting morning last Sunday off the Catt. cleaning perch and silver bass/white perch off the lines that it really took the fun out of fishing. Barcelona intrigues me because of the Laker, steelhead option. Hey, 1.5 mph wormharness speed is the same speed lakers like dodger and flies.

Gill-T... I've found that once we get into 70+ feet of water the number of trash fish drops way down. Last trip out we caught one or two lambchops in three days of fishing. Personally.. I don't care about lakers, but I know that they do well by dropping down deep or bouncing bottom in our area. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris) ps.. I do equally well both east and west of the harbor, but usually head west for a more comfortable ride back if it blows up!

When the lake allows, fishing has been good to very good. We've been running8-10 miles west, and honestly about 95% of my fish are coming on small spoons or

chattersticks. Took a few days off with the family up north, but weather permitting

will be on sat-sun this weekend, and fri-sun next weekend.

John

did oneida lake go dry? if so i must have missed the news :o lots of erie chatter now where as in past years it was mostly oneida

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

It seems unless your trolling, the eye bite went into a 2 week funk after that heat wave in early July, last week we re found them feeding on young of the year perch fry in the weeds shallower, that was fun, but it seems to be spotty now. The perch fry and this year's year class of shad are very robust and big in size. I know guys that have been doing well in the weeds and out deep trolling, but I haven't fished down there in 6 days due to other circumstances.