cayuga lake 7-21 Rookie 1st fish

Well i've been lurking on the posts taking it all in. Just wanna thank everyone for helping me with my first fish. Had a good morning lines wet at 0630 launched out of taunghanock park and went North alittle stayed in 250-380FOW running downriggers at 80-100 ft down, with flasher fly and flasher/squid. had a good couple hookups but lost them near the boat. then at 0800 i hooked up this nice laker!( IMO) he put up a good fight and i was able to land him(i need a bigger net). He was 31inches and i guess 12-15lbs. got him on the purple squid which remained hot that morning taking 2 other rainbows. had my hands full dodging weed balls like they where landmines :@ . All in all had a blast i'm finally getting the hang of it. Would like to learn the tricks of the trade from anyone needing a partner. i have time and would pitch in for gas!! thanks

zGdf9.jpg

If your flys and squids only have one hook, to ensure better hook ups you may want to try to tie a tournament tie, a treble hook and single hook tied in tandem go to http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/templ ... ctor=video

check out how to tie tournament tie, have fun and thanks for reporting

Not to bad for a jarhead, glad to see you got the first one under your belt. I'd take you out on Cayuga any week night next week if you can handle sipping a pop or two with a ranger. I fish out of Union Springs PM me if you want to go out, good job on the fish and happy to see you here on the water instead of in harms-way. God Bless all of or military men.

usmc congrats on a nice laker.... Thank You for your service to our great Country... If you have any interest in fishing the Big O out of Pultneyville area pm me your info and Timmy and I will get you out.... Dale

We should do a poll and see how many former military on here. Those days were some of the best and most memorable of my life.

for me...12B Combat Engineer 4 years Ft. Polk, La.

P.S. Lil Jake, you look like a former Ranger...

Can't say the same.....Just seemed I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time. 19k M1 tanker. 7th cav in the First Gulf war, also went to Panama in "Operation just cause" with the 82nd Airborne Armor unit in a M551 Sheridan. After the Gulf war I decided enough was enough! Oh yeah I spent 2 yrs in the Berlin brg during the end of the cold war, that was kind of cool.

Anyways.....VERY nice first fish, that's a beauty!

Congratulations on your first of many Cayuga lake fish! :yes: The backdrop of your photo confirms you need a bigger net for sure as yours reminds me of what we used on the Connecticut coast to scoop blue crabs as a kid. I just went with a telescoping Frabill after asking the question in the Tackle section of the site on 6/24. If you check if outt, there are several links on my replies to sites with nets. Best of luck and to you and all military people on or associated with this site, "Thank you for being on that wall every day and every night."

Greg