Brighton to Port Darlington salmon

Hi my name is Shawn and I would like to go salmon fishing any where for Brighton to Port Darlington in the next couple of weeks. I have one problem I only have a 14 foot aluminum with a 20 Honda on it although I have fished successively on Lake Erie for several years Salmon and Walleye Rigger and Dipsy I do not know this lake very well. Could someone please let me know if, where, what depth and anything else that might be helpful for me like where to buy the flies that everyone is talking about (never used them on Erie) Any help would be great thanks.

Sorry Shawn you're not gonna like the answer.

Get a group of buddies together and rent a charter. You will learn more in that day than in weeks of reading the forum and you will have a good, and safe, time doing it. Ask questions, take pictures mark spots on your GPS etc. Then forget about taking a 14 foot boat on Lake Ontario. Yes there are portions of select days where you might get away with it but it is not worth the risk. The lake can change in a heartbeat and the closer you are to shore the more unpredictable the waves become. No matter what boat you end up in make sure it has all safety equipment available. A vhs radio is particularly essential.

Good Luck

Hey ricelaker,

I have a different point of view. All the ports that I have tried between those two hold fish. Head out and find bait, once you find bait put your lures though the bait. If you can handle wind blown Lake Eire you will be fine on nice lake O days. I buy my flies at most fishing stores that have Spin Doctors... That big store north of T.O has some.

You are safe in a 14' boat but you need to pick your days.....N or W wind days are good for a boat that size but you cannot venture out too deep.

Find somebody who fishes the lake and ask them to take you out if you don't want to run a charter. Also, the best place to buy colderwater species tackle is Tightlines in Pickering. Don't bother going to that big store north off the 400 because their selection is crap. Tightlines has tons of A-Tom-Mik flies which IMO are the best out there and match them up with any green/pearl pro-troll flasher. And if you have never heard of Tightlines, be rest assured that they are a top salmon/trout store as they run one of the best one-day salmon tournaments on Lake Ontario (Tightlines Shootout).

And when the fish start staging off the rivermouths in a few weeks, your 14' boat will be perfect for flatlining in front of the rivermouths. Best lures are J-14 chartreuse or fluorescent rapala and some spinnies/flies off the riggers or dipsey.

Thanks for the info guys I am greatful I have always picked my days on big lakes swimming with your boat sinking is not a good idea if anyone has any more hints it would be great thanks a bunch and when I get out I will let you know how I did (Ihave a weather radio so I can pick my days) I can't afford a charter.

I am interested but I have an 11 year old who may not be gets bored when the action is not crazy typical kid does not know how to relax and enjoy, if you don't mind a kid we might be able to set something up send me your phone number or email and we can try to make arrangements thanks Shawn