I have never run wire before and have a few questions.

Do I spool the entire reel (Diawa 47) with wire or do I use a backing?

I found 300' and 600' spools in both 30 lb and 45 lb. Which is best to use?

I was reading on the Cabela's site that Opti-Tackle wire is not good to use with Dipsies? Has anyone ever run this brand of wire using dipsies? Any problems?

Does anyone have a chart to show how deep wire runs with spoons only or with dipsies?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

you need 1000ft of wire and it all will fit on you 47, make sure its stainless steal wire and not copper , only reason i say this is copper comes in 300/ 400/ 600 and i think you mite be mixing it up, marlin wirer is what we use, hope this helps.

Just Ducky,

I setup the wire with no backing right to the spool.

I use 30#

http://cgi.ebay.com/MALIN-7-STRAND-30-1 ... 230828fc03

The 1000' helps out on the bigger fish- heavy as hell though.

But with the dipsies- we are running 250' to 350' out from the boat...

Change out your rod tip... the twilly tips available at most of the shops on the lake. The wire will cut through the guide on the tip of the rod in 100'.

I have never run wire before and have a few questions.

Do I spool the entire reel (Diawa 47) with wire or do I use a backing?

I found 300' and 600' spools in both 30 lb and 45 lb. Which is best to use?

I was reading on the Cabela's site that Opti-Tackle wire is not good to use with Dipsies? Has anyone ever run this brand of wire using dipsies? Any problems?

Does anyone have a chart to show how deep wire runs with spoons only or with dipsies?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Yo Ducky,

I'm running 30 pound Opti Wire (works just as good as my friends Malin I was borrowing the last few seasons) 1000 ft fits a 47 perfect no backing, wrap the spool with electrical tape first before spooling and spool it tight but not overly tight. Before I fished with them the first time, I clipped on 8oz and ran them back out on the water at 4mph to 900 ft just to be 100% sure the wire was laying the spool properly so when the first screamer took off the line came off perfect (which it did) when you let your divers out thumb them out slowly to around 40 ft then put engage the reel then let the rest out with a loose drag, let them out slowly. Use the wire line knot on the LOTSA site to connect your swivel, no crimps to mess with and it's a strong knot, most guys use this and no complaints.

As far as depth goes. Read this http://www.attheoak.com/tips.html it's pretty accurate.

I found 300' and 600' spools in both 30 lb and 45 lb. Which is best to use? 45lb faster sink rate gets deeper.

I use the nylon renforced shipping tape. Tie the wire to the spool and put the tape across the spool the long way , locking the wire to the spool. The wire locks the tape down as you spool it on, wind it on tight!!! Hope its a 47lc reel, 1000' of 30# fits just right.

Great stuff guys! Thanks for all your help.

Big Dave - Yes 47LC. It's an older model, but still works great. It's just sitting on the shelf so I figured I would put it to use.

One more question though. What length rod are you all using? Just a standard 9' - 10' dipsie rod? I realize I need to change the tip. Thanks for letting me know that as well.

Great stuff guys! Thanks for all your help.

Big Dave - Yes 47LC. It's an older model, but still works great. It's just sitting on the shelf so I figured I would put it to use.

One more question though. What length rod are you all using? Just a standard 9' - 10' dipsie rod? I realize I need to change the tip. Thanks for letting me know that as well.

We use a 10' with twilli tip

My 2 wires are on 9.5 Daiwa Heartland Diver Rods, so are my 2 power pro divers. I have 2 mono divers on 10.5 Heartland diver rods.

If that older 47LC is one of the Great Lakes models, you might want to consider the Tuna Tom or smoothdrag Drag upgrades, as the stock drags on those GL's were a little sticky for something as unforgiving as wire. Well worth the couple bucks in any case.

http://tunasreeltroubles.com/index.html

http://www.smoothdrag.com/

Tim

My 2 wires are on 9.5 Daiwa Heartland Diver Rods, so are my 2 power pro divers. I have 2 mono divers on 10.5 Heartland diver rods.

If that older 47LC is one of the Great Lakes models, you might want to consider the Tuna Tom or smoothdrag Drag upgrades, as the stock drags on those GL's were a little sticky for something as unforgiving as wire. Well worth the couple bucks in any case.

Tim

Tim,

I wish i would have known that before buying a pair of GL's. I was going to use them for wire. How hard are the washers to swap out?

Thanks,

Mike

My wire rods are 7' fish doctor roller rods. They are super!!!! Alot more fun then the huge rods. Much easier to reel in the kings with. The older 47lc are a work horse. The brought alot of kings into our boat. :yes:

ducky,i put a single wrap of duct tape around the arbor of my reel and the as other have instructed,reel the line into the reel fairly tight. i then will take a green bead 10 mil. or a little larger and slide that onto the line ,then put the line through a100lb.test sampo swivle and terminate it with a double overhand knot.

the reason i use a bead up front is so that the wire knots dont get caught in the twilli tip.this is just how i do mine .....results may vary!

mike ;)

forgot to say the green bead also acts as a small attractor.i will sometimes use two beads to make sure i cover the tag end of the wire and some times i will even cover the tag end with a crimp sleeve and just very slightly crimp it enough so it doesnt slide off the tag.the sleeve covers the tag to prevent wire slivers getting in my fingers

my wire rods are Diawa heartlands 91/2 FT with twilli tips,they are great rods, bend well and have great back bone.

mike m

Tim

Tim,

I wish i would have known that before buying a pair of GL's. I was going to use them for wire. How hard are the washers to swap out?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I'm not saying they are bad reels, they're not, just that the stock drags are a bit touchier than the SG series, very smooth once spinning, just not quite as smooth a startup

Tim.

If you send them to tuna's he will pin the spool to the shaft too. The steel center shaft will somtimes break free of the spool. Not a good thing with a king on the wire, and you can't reel him in.

If you send them to tuna's he will pin the spool to the shaft too. The steel center shaft will somtimes break free of the spool. Not a good thing with a king on the wire, and you can't reel him in.

And here I thought I was saving a few bucks. What you learn after the fact.