Question: Perch

VJD

Perch fishing is the most angler hour activity in the USA. Yet it gets the least amount of attention than the high dollar expenditure activities from the DEC. Money is what drives government decisions. Years ago Lake Ontario was condemned as a fish consumption banned area so perch fishing was directed to other inland lakes in the area. No Health Department studies have been conducted or published lately and we do not no where we stand since we put in all the industrial water quality projects and wastewater plants over the past fifty years. Most of New York State's industrial plants have moved offshore for more economical operating conditions. Uncontrolled perch populations hurt the reproduction cycles of species such as bass and walleye. We need a consumption approval from the appropriate agencies to get things back on track and promote our perch fishing. As a nation we import three trillion dollars of seafood annually so in order to save America we could start by catching and eating our own plentiful resources.

Jimski2, the mooneye population controls the perch and walleye population,they spawn after the P/W and feed on there eggs.The Mooneyes and smelt are making a comeback and the perch fishing seams to be dropping off the last two years,at least the big ones are getting harder to get. I don't think there's a lack of perch fishermen. How about dropping the 50 limit? The trouble with the bass pop.is most likely the gobie's and the C/R fishing during the spawn period.I'm sure they have trouble finding a place to spawn (zebra mussels )and when they do there pulled off there nests and the gobies and others fish eat there eggs. The DEC. has charts showing as the mooneye pop. goes up or down the perch and walleye pop. goes the other way. I don't think this is a surprise to you but I had to say It. :( .

• 2 weeks later...

I like that also. No need for 50 fish. I perch fish a ton and am as happy with 15-20 nice ones as I am with 50. I would like to see a length limit also. Just like on crappie. I wouldnt dream of keeping a pearch under 9 inches. Maybe if I was starving. These guys get out there and keep fish that after they are cleaned you could read a newspaper through them!!!

On Lake Erie there is absolutely no reason to have a size or number limit as the perch there are underharvested in New York waters. From 1983 to 2003, witht the end of gill net fishing, the walleye failed to have one good reproduction year, 2003, was the first. The underharvested perch decimate all the walleye fry and fingerlings.