Gas question

2thdoc

I have 2, 5 gallon tanks full in my shed. They have been there for about 1 month. Was told with ethanol in the fuel and constant temp changes the plastic tanks would lead to condensation and water build up in the tanks. Is there any truth to this? Can the fuel still be used? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

If it's only been sitting for a month, it should be fine. When in doubt add a few drops of stabil to it before storage. If you're really worried about it, tilt the can up on one end, let set for a few minutes then siphon out a little from the lowest edge into a glass jar. Let that set for a few minutes and look at it. If there's anything wrong with it you should see it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Take it from one who has had carburetor problems on my outboard from 10% ethanol gas. If you don't use it up in 2 weeks throw it in the truck and buy fresh. It does not take much to mess up your motor. I even go as far as disconnecting the hose at the motor and holding the intake plunger until the motor stops running. I do this even with adding Stabil or Startron.

Thanks Tom. I replaced everything from the can to the carbs since. It is hard to find pure gas around here. I have read where the ethanol can be a lot higher than 10% at some places. Whether it is true or not I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me. This ethanol thing is a joke from the start.

I always dump a bit of "seafoam" in my fuel.If it doesn't help,it certainly doesn't hurt.I have kept plastic fuel containers in my boat over the winter and the engine will start on that fuel next spring without any problems.

There is however another problem that people do not pay attention to.It is called the half full can of fuel.

If you have a half full can then the other half is air and water molecules are suspended in the air.The warmer the daytime temperatures,the more water molecules that air will hold.At night the temperature goes down and the water condenses and ends up in your fuel where some of it will just go down to the bottom of the tank and some will connect to the ethanol.If this process repeats itself for ,say,three weeks,you will have a sizable amount of water in your fuel and it may well cause trouble.

In other words.Never leave a half full container in your boat.Either empty them out or fill them to the top at the end of your fishing day.That will prevent a lot of trouble.

Cornelis

If the gas can is sealed tight how does the process repeat itself? There can only be so much moisture in the tank when sealed . Vented, I agree.Also , I like Stabil. I buy the $10 bottle & put some in every time I fill cans for boat, generators, or mowers.

No matter how well it's "sealed" air can still move in and out. Two year ago my buddy stored his boat outside for the winter. Of all the things he didn't do, the big ones were leave the gas tank for the little motor in the boat and not fog the big motor. The first trip the next year he stuck the rings on one cylinder on the big motor. When we tried to get the kicker fired, to get back in, it wouldn't even pop. Ended up being about a pint of water in the botom of the tank. Oh, and that tank is "sealed".

I have been watching all these threads about ethanol. We were just forced to switch the first of July. What a buch of retards. I've already seen a 3mpg drop in my Jeep. Thank god we filled the boat to the top back in June, at least we have a while before we have to worry about that.

Kwickfill has non-ethanol american gas. When you go in, make sure you thank them for not putting ethanol in the gas, and explain that is the reason you chose that station.

There are no Kwikfill's here in my part of NJ. Nice to know that though. There is a Shell that sells pure gas over in PA according to the boat mechanic here. Next time up I'll be filling a few cans there. It is right on the way. I am going to do a search and see what brands have non-ethanol American.

I can tell you that the Kwikfill's in NW PA all have ethanol. They have the stickers posted to the pumps. I am in the process of finding out what happened. I didn't notice it until 2 weeks ago, but it seems like everyone in town switched, all of a sudden. Must have been some sort of mandate, weather it's local or state???

http://pure-gas.org/about

I came across this website that has a list of stations that supposedly have pure gas. I notice a lot of the Kwikfill's that Trap Jaw just posted on.

This link within (the pure-gas.org) about page is eye opening with a list of states where there is NO requirement to put the ethanol content on the pump. A lot of almost everything you might want to know about this garbage is linked here.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

I abandoned use of my "built in tank". Now I use two six gallon tanks and close the vent when I shut down. I can look in the open tank cap and see if water is present. This makes it easy to dump my gasoline into other tanks. The alcohol in the fuel evaporates and will dissolve many plastics in your boat such as spinner beads and downrigger plastic housings. Close the vents on your tank.

I put an in line clear filter in the fuel line just ahead of the motor conection on my outboard. I can see everything that goes thru. at 3 bucks each I keep an extra on board. My tanks with the vent screws& cap tight Expand & contract with temp. When I open them they suck air or blow it out depending. I figure that's "sealed" pretty good. I also pull the connection & run the motor dry if I won't use it the next day. kwik fill attendant in Brockport told me we are safe from eth for a while.

My wife used to put old style canning jars on out deck rail. by the end of summer the jars would be half full from the air moving in and our as they heated and cooled.. Granted they wern't sealed, but the amount of condensation that filled the jars was amazing.

I talked with the kwik fill people today and they told me that they will continue to supply ethanol free gasoline until December 31 when it will be illegal to sell ethanol free gas in NY State

Took an extra merc plastic 5 gal can & put 2 gal mobil( 10% eth ) gas in it . Cranked down cap & vent screw tight . Set it outside next to my shed so it will get direct sunlight to get hot & the cool nights. In 30 days or so I will drain into a glass 1 gal pickle jar to see what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

A good marine mechanic says that you should disconnect your fuel line from the engine and run it out of gasoline/alcohol and empty your fuel tank when you store your boat for a long time. That is it for the time being. Not only the stored gasoline goes bad but your fuel injectors are having problems.