Evel Eye - Red Eye lure - Question - Help

I was told Evel eye / Redeye Lures were awsome for catching

Browns, Steel / Rainbow and lake trout as well salmon

Is this True ???

I grew up knowing these lures were great for Northern, Muskie fishing

Can they be used for trout / salmon if so why don't more charters use them ?

enlighten me please

have a wonderful day

Cptcove

The glow with a green lightning bolt used to be a very good king spoon. It ran good at dodger squid speed, but they got bent up easily. The black and silver in the medium size is great in the propwash for spring browns and coho. Still run them on occasion.

The glow with a green lightning bolt used to be a very good king spoon. It ran good at dodger squid speed, but they got bent up easily. The black and silver in the medium size is great in the propwash for spring browns and coho. Still run them on occasion.

First thanks for your time replying

But you never answered my questions

(( Quote ))

was told Evel eye / Redeye Lures were awsome for catching

Is this True ???

enlighten me please

Thanks

good brown spoon due to action at low speeds,steelies tend to be a narrow spoon fish but the big ones have no problem with anything,,,never ran em for salmon but back in the day the oldtimers said they work for salmon more towards fall and east end...

the lightning bolt has its moments with coho and kings in the spring but again with all the new stuff that works so good its tuff to dig in the box and replace a lure you have confidence in..

as far as stocking your shelves with em i might go with special order..

PS I never saw a lure package that says "This lure will not catch fish ever"

(( Quote ))

Is this True ???

enlighten me please

Thanks

If you were already (told) that they are (awesome) for catching why are you asking again??? He just said he has caught kings, coho's and browns and was specific about the color and speed! go run them and find out.

Yes it's true. Most charters do have them in their arsenal(at least we do) but they were more popular back a few years when there weren't as many choices in lures. They have great action at slow speeds trolling for BT's , Steel and lakers as well as a snap and roll that produces kings at quicker speeds. Tough to beat spin doctors for kings and if the kings are biting the trout are left alone till the king bite dies, then the capts. will dig out these spoons or other trout spoons they have confidence in to put fish in the box. The heavy caster e/e were great for steelhead on the thermobar off the boards.

(( Quote ))

Is this True ???

enlighten me please

Thanks

If you were already (told) that they are (awesome) for catching why are you asking again??? He just said he has caught kings, coho's and browns and was specific about the color and speed! go run them and find out.

The letters on my shirt says

There are no stupid questions - just stupid people

I asked about Red eye, Evel eye, = Red Devil Lures that are for Pike and Muskie

NOT LIGHTING BOLT or Flashers or Speed etc....

some folks just need to put their two pennies short of two sense in

guess it makes them feel wanted, loved, like a big boy etc...

You have a nice day

Yes it's true. Most charters do have them in their arsenal(at least we do) but they were more popular back a few years when there weren't as many choices in lures. They have great action at slow speeds trolling for BT's , Steel and lakers as well as a snap and roll that produces kings at quicker speeds. Tough to beat spin doctors for kings and if the kings are biting the trout are left alone till the king bite dies, then the capts. will dig out these spoons or other trout spoons they have confidence in to put fish in the box. The heavy caster e/e were great for steelhead on the thermobar off the boards.

Thanks for being helpful

Here ya go.... Again.. You asked about Evil Eye and you were given accurate info on "Evil Eye"

this is a "Evil eye" or Red Eye made by Eppinger Manufacturing, the same company that makes the "Daredevil"

This is the lure you asked about and was accurately described by Holy Mackeral as to its usefullness for trout and salmon

EvilEye.jpg

This is a "Daredevil" or Red devil which I believe is a favorite for pike and musky fisherman. two different lures.

lure.jpg

You seem like anice Guy . Very frendly and open to suggestions about your questions.

It kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling ,after helping a new guy ..

If you have any other questions I'm shure many folks here will take time outa their day to help!!

Some times people say "THANK YOU" to all answers as we are all different and might have a tad diff. style of a program..

OPPS let me help with PROGRAM==A STYLE OR ASSORTMENT OF LURES,BAITS,RIGGER DEPTH,SPEED RUN BY A FISHERMAN .....(not a piece of paper handed out at the door of a school play)

" these lures were great for Northern, Muskie fishing "

The old evil eyes That were used for pike and musky were heavy and had two eyes . The ones used for trolling are light and have one eye.

We have a small boat and on the rougher days they work well on short leads 4' off the ball. I am not sure if were trolling them or jigging :lol:

I thought Evil Eyes were made by the Hofscnider Co in Rochester.Shongos favorite. They made the Red Eye Wiggler that had the 2 hex red eye beads w/ the double hook up front. A go to lure for pike & musky years ago. The Black & silver Evil eye in both 3 & 5 were go to for me for all species till NK's showed up.I have a bunch of them in a lot of colors . Daredevil made Flutterchucks & some other flutter type spoons.

You'll find quite a few guys on spoonpullers that love the evil eyes (eppinger). We used to get quite a few salmon on the Black/purple ones. I still have a few in my box but they don't get the water time due to DWSS. Some guys loved the chartruse (green) & orange.

Also have a couple red eye wrigglers in the box. Mostly for sentimental reasons. When growing up, I used to do a lot of casting for bass & northerns. Only used 4 lures: Daredevil (eppinger) Red eye wiggler (hofschnieder), ABU spinners and real flatfish.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BD - I liked the yellow with black & red dots, then the green with yellow hallos around blk dots. (frog). Both wood.

Funny how it's hard to find yellow lures, but those were killers for me.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

In their hayday 1980-1990 the evil eyes and red eyes were made by Scotch Game Calls/Red Eye Lures in Elba, NY on Old Oak Orchard Road. The owner was my neighbor and I never had to buy one. :)

In his early articles in the INFisherman, Orvac would talk about running "fast" with these lures.

We used to stack them above J-Plugs in the fall and the black and silver pictured above was a low light killer back when kings used to stage infront of the Oak. When trolling the wall we put them on the riggers and J's on flat lines.

The Pirate and NK with their silver plating and fancy tape designs caught the eye of the angler and the locals began buying the new fancy lures over the painted ones.

Cptcove you can catch fish on anything (lures) if you know how to present it. Today I would not waste my money on an evil eye, I would buy a 42 second spoon.

Captcove,

The guys who have answered your questions were very eager and yet overly generous to help you out. You will find that this is not an everyday occurence on other fishing site. The guys at LOU are the nicest guy you would ever run into. But of course, theres always one or two nasty apples in every bucket.

Being nice and all, I will chime in about the evil eye lure posted by ON THE LAM. This black and silver bolt is my favorite spoon to catch the big steelhead. Even though, I am only in my 4th year trolling and I can tell you that I have caught several large steelheads on them.

tight lines.

• 2 years later...

cptcove

"ENGLISH" I have an original Evil Eye.

I was involved with the actual production of the original Evil eye.

To answer your question the evil eye was made to catch musky, walleye, and large mouth bass.

The evil eye was first used for Largemouth bass at Rice Lake Ontario Canada. On a Lilly pad patch I remember the exact day and Chief Smoke was in the boat with us that day. Chief Smoke from Serpent of the Mounds always joined us and taught me angling skills that I still remember today.

Holy Mackerel, I think I'm going On The Lam but not to the cptcove!!!!!!

Nice reply to a guy thats obviously confused about the lure he's asking about.

I hope you don't think I'm confused "Original Evil Eye"?

If so Sir or Mam your knowledge must be updated.

I'm talking about a Legal named Lure called the "Evil Eye" it was used back in the 60s in Ontario Canada. And documented in the United States patent and trademark office.