The best thing you can do like Shade said is make sure your hooks are extremely sharp, I can't stress that enough. Most of my spoons have the hooks replaced with owner treble hooks. They are as sharp as a sewing needle. I used to buy them on e-bay for a fraction of the cost that you would find them any where else. I almost never loose fish any more since I got those.

sharpen hooks from sides not cone sharpen and check releases for good tightness..but i also agree your drags might be a tad tight and your trying to force the fish in...,,

and sometimes around bait thefish arnt as agressive ,if their full ,and ya might be just getting some sloppy hits ..

some hooks also have a slight inward bend to them at the tip ,,I like mine to be straight and sharp,,,a needle should feel dull in comparison to a sharp hook

Tighten your releases, make sure you gain slack line quick after a downrigger release, bow to the king on jumps, knuckle the star drag lighter when they turn and burn close to the boat, troll faster for reaction strikes without the chance to nip, sharp hooks, keep dipsy rods low to keep the diver and fish in the water - on jumps the dipsy acts like a counter-weight to dislodge the hook. On leadcore, copper, wire and braid no JERKY/ROD PUMPING, you will tear out the hooks-----slow and steady wins the race, don't try to net a hot fish....let them tire a little.

Marty - when you sense the fish is going to jump, ie he stays on the surface, get your rod tip down, Even in the water, but keep it bent. This will put a lot of your line in the water. The fish will have a hard time getting slack as he has to pull the bow in the line out first. If all your line is out of the water, it is very easy for a thrashing fish to get some slack.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

PolarBear,

Just type in Owner treble hooks on ebay and you will get a lot to choose from. I don't think there is a sharper point made on a hook. A-tom-mik trolling flies have owner trebles on them and they are extremely sharp. The last time I got them on ebay I got them loose in bulk and got a great deal at about half price. Owner stinger trebles are what I use, they are very good.