Dunkirk walleye 7/30/10

jimski2

Boxed out with 15 walleye today. Fished from 8:00 AM to 2:30PM, 70 t0 80 foot of water from Dunkirk to the Brocton Water Tower. Dipseys set at #3, 180 to 200 foot out with harnesses did best. A couple on a 65 foot rigger and a couple on 9 colors of leadcore.

When you guys talk about Dipsies are you always referring to #1's with the ring on? Also, do you find that the color of the Dipsy ever makes a difference? Do you always load your spinner with a crawler or do you ever find any success with the Gulp Alive or any other meat or meat imitations? Thanks

Saturday, we only did six walleye, top three weighed in at 19+ pounds. It looks like we will be out of the money as a lot of 9 to 10 pounders have come in. Friday, two eleven pounders came in.

I do not use the ring on my dipseys, some guys do, we just let out more braid so as to get the rig away from the boat.

Today we will try waters over 90 feet as that seems to be where the bigger fish are reported to be coming from.

The Chautauqua County Conservation Club held their walleye tourney this weekend at Dunkirk. The winning team posted a total weight for nine walleyes entered over three days at seventy two pounds. Two eleven pounders and five ten pounders were entered. If you are looking for a trophy walleye, Chautauqua County is a good place to look and the Conservation Club on Mullet Street is a good place to stop for information. And now is a good time to go there.

Fished this tournament this weekend as well. Walleyes starting in 70 feet and out starting straight out of Dunkirk Harbor and west. Mixed in were brown trout, steelhead and we boated a 12 lb laker. Steady action, no where near the level of the late 80's on Lake Erie but it is good to see the mixed bag. Lots of small walleye out there as well, so there holds great promise for the next couple years.

We did the tournament too....

Had a double boat charter to get out of the way Friday first, so off course we

did good on that, and then tanked in the pm trying to get our 3.....had us in

a deep hole to start....

Saturday, moved offshore looking to get out of the little fish ....did 8 total and

our best 3 were just over 20lbs.

Yesterday...boxed 15 in just under 4 hrs, but only got mid-teens.

85 fow is loaded with 3-4 lb fish; and I don't recall seeing such a good consistent

screen in a long time.

Be sure to check out my blog...bit more info on that....

Out again in the a.m....

John